• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Comida South America!

For a long time now South American food, esp Peruvian, has held a special place in my heart. Recently i was generously given a gift of a couple of Rocoto sauces from friends overseas. So I thought id start this thread in hopes to learn more about the cuisine and also try my hand a little more often to cook some of their dishes.

tonights dinner is a couple of my Peruvian favorites:

*Anticuchos - Traditionally beef heart is used.... i used blade steak marinated in 1/2C vinegar, 2T Aji Panca paste, garlic, scotch bonnett, oregano, cumin
*Ajiaco de Papas- 1/2 onion diced and sauteed in butter/oil, add 200g of diced halloumi (or queso fresco), add 3T Aji Amarillo paste, 1/2C stock, 1/2C evaporated milk. Stir and mash in 1kg of cooked potatoes.
*Others - Rice, Salsa Criolla (onion) and one of my favorite beers, Cusquena Negra.

2015-01-25%2012.30.30_zpsvhiq7cib.jpg

2015-01-25%2014.00.14_zpsgtgsntvp.jpg

Loads of goats are raised in Texas for meat.

And yet.

I can't find anywhere to buy it locally. 

Even my local Mexican Mercado doesn't have it.

When I was growing up in the Rio Grand Valley goats were ever' where.

But you didn't buy the meat back then either.

You went to your neighbors house about 2 miles away.

You were going to drop off 2 big sacks of onions.

And pick up some tomatoes.

Sometimes.

They had the grill going.

Which was fine by me.

I ate well.

And was good revenge on those musky Mexican goats that rammed me in the balls on more than one occasion.

My dear sweet ma's milch goats were sweet pets.

And good milkers.

Imagine a dog that loves you.

But with a rough tongue for kisses.

And sharp hooves.

Si senor!

As a young kid growing up on the farm back then I thought those were the worst days of my life.

But they were really some of the best.

What were we talking about?

ZPhHRQ6.jpg

salt rubbed pork tenderloin broiled in the oven with a crema de Aji Limo.
the crema is probably my favorite way to use the limos. its really good.
herb chevre stuffed snackers and snap peas (i'm ready for gardening!)

anybody have a good arroz con pollo receta (peruano)

I meant to buy wings and accidentally bought drumsticks. I figure arroz con pollo would be a good use for them.

Lengua a la Vinagreta

A classic Argentine dish.

Boil the tongue for 2 hours per kilo, in this case, 3 hours. Add a rough chopped onion, carrot, celery, leek, and bay leaf to the boiling water with the tongue.

Once the tongue is tender, peel off the outer layer, then slice it thinly.

Dice up a red pepper, one bunch of parsley, 4 hard boiled eggs, and two aji amarillos. Add the zest and juice of one lemon. Put all of this in a bowl with a 2:1 ratio of EVOO to vinegar.

Add the tongue slices, and mix everything well, so the meat is fully marinated. Put this in a dish, and let chill for a few hours at least, or several days for best results.

Delicious!!!

Attachments

• 20180306_130503.jpg
    20180306_130503.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 20180306_131452.jpg
    20180306_131452.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 20180306_181653.jpg
    20180306_181653.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 20180306_182656.jpg
    20180306_182656.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 20180306_190221.jpg
    20180306_190221.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 20180306_202038.jpg
    20180306_202038.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 47
When i was young, tongue and ox tails were like poor people food. You could always get them cheap. Now i cant touch them for under $5.99/lb. Grandma would make tongue sammiches all the time on homemade bread. It was a nice treat after a 7hr drive.

Ive been craving goat for awhile now. I prefer fresh from the halal market but that market is a long way away now. I think i can get it in "lil Mexico" too. Some curry goat or birria sounds killer.

MikeUSMC said:
Only lengua I've ever had was street tacos and they were slammin'. Cabeza (brain) ones were good too, but chewy ;)
If you ever want to make lengua tacos, just follow all of the steps I put in that recipe, up til making and adding the vinagreta. Once you slice your boiled and fully coooked tongue, put those slices on the grill, and crisp up/sear both sides of the slice. Then cut the lengua into smaller pieces, and slap that meat in a corn tortilla with your favorite toppings.

Back