• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Comida South America!

For a long time now South American food, esp Peruvian, has held a special place in my heart. Recently i was generously given a gift of a couple of Rocoto sauces from friends overseas. So I thought id start this thread in hopes to learn more about the cuisine and also try my hand a little more often to cook some of their dishes.

tonights dinner is a couple of my Peruvian favorites:

*Anticuchos - Traditionally beef heart is used.... i used blade steak marinated in 1/2C vinegar, 2T Aji Panca paste, garlic, scotch bonnett, oregano, cumin
*Ajiaco de Papas- 1/2 onion diced and sauteed in butter/oil, add 200g of diced halloumi (or queso fresco), add 3T Aji Amarillo paste, 1/2C stock, 1/2C evaporated milk. Stir and mash in 1kg of cooked potatoes.
*Others - Rice, Salsa Criolla (onion) and one of my favorite beers, Cusquena Negra.

2015-01-25%2012.30.30_zpsvhiq7cib.jpg

2015-01-25%2014.00.14_zpsgtgsntvp.jpg

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Oh man, you nailed that!

I'm not even too big on tripe but I love this soup.

I'd encourage anyone visiting Peru to skip the hotel breakfast and head down to the local mercado for a big bowl of this delicious soup.

Tinnie said:
Oh man, you nailed that!

I'm not even too big on tripe but I love this soup.

I'd encourage anyone visiting Peru to skip the hotel breakfast and head down to the local mercado for a big bowl of this delicious soup.
Thanks man! It was even better over the next few days, reheated, just like menudo. It turns into a complete jello type consistency in the fridge, due to all of the collagen from the bone broth. Of course, it returns to a savory soup as soon as it heats back up.

Shambar Peruano

This is a stew from Northern Peru with various cuts of meat, barley, and legumes. It is typically eaten on Mondays, but I was craving it today...so Shambar on a Tuesday! I made this shambar with lamb head stock, yerba buena, and goat.

After simmering the heads for the stock for a few hours, I pulled all of the meat off the heads, the the tongue, brains, eyes, cheeks, etc. I then minced this up finely together, adding it back into the soup during the last half an hour of the cook. I fried the onions, aji panca, and aji amarillo in a separate pan, then blended everything together, and added it to the stock pot with the broth. Once the goat was almost done cooking in the soup, I pulled all of the meat out, removed the bones, and added the meat back in.

A soup like this is difficult for photos, since there is so much hidden under that tasty broth. I snapped this pic before I covered the shambar the last 2 giant ladels of broth into the serving bowl.

This came out absolutely perfect. The barley and legumes soaked up the broth perfectly. The yerba buena adds a great complexity and freshness to the soup.

Attachments

• 20181113_194527.jpg
    20181113_194527.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 20181113_194547.jpg
    20181113_194547.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 71
Cau Cau de Mariscos

Pretty simple tasty dish. Sautee some onion and garlic, add 2 Tbsp of Aji Amarillo continue to sautee for a few minutes. Add 1/2 tsp of cumin, corriander and tumeric (or to taste). Stir through 2 medium sized diced potatoes and add a cup of water. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until potatoes are nearly cooked, add your choice of seafood (I used a good fresh marinara mix from my fish monger), add frozen peas, cover again and occasionally stir till seafood is cooked through.

Not the greatest photo as the fish and potato look kinda similar after cooking but turned out really good.

X2yb1Pv.jpg

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Shambar Peruano

This is a stew from Northern Peru with various cuts of meat, barley, and legumes. It is typically eaten on Mondays, but I was craving it today...so Shambar on a Tuesday! I made this shambar with lamb head stock, yerba buena, and goat.

After simmering the heads for the stock for a few hours, I pulled all of the meat off the heads, the the tongue, brains, eyes, cheeks, etc. I then minced this up finely together, adding it back into the soup during the last half an hour of the cook. I fried the onions, aji panca, and aji amarillo in a separate pan, then blended everything together, and added it to the stock pot with the broth. Once the goat was almost done cooking in the soup, I pulled all of the meat out, removed the bones, and added the meat back in.

A soup like this is difficult for photos, since there is so much hidden under that tasty broth. I snapped this pic before I covered the shambar the last 2 giant ladels of broth into the serving bowl.

This came out absolutely perfect. The barley and legumes soaked up the broth perfectly. The yerba buena adds a great complexity and freshness to the soup.

Looks fantastic!  :drooling:  :drooling:  :drooling:

I must have arrived in Trujillo on a Tuesday then, as i had every intention of trying this soup only to find out id missed it by a day  :doh:

Ive always want to try this as, with the exception of home cooking, you dont really see many Peruvian soups with legumes..... maybe habas in chupe??.... most seem to revolve heavily around potato and/or grain.....
Also the name Shambar.... very strange name in comparison to other dishes.... almost sounds like an Arabic name as opposed to a Latin or Quechua.... 

Tinnie said:
Cau Cau de Mariscos

Pretty simple tasty dish. Sautee some onion and garlic, add 2 Tbsp of Aji Amarillo continue to sautee for a few minutes. Add 1/2 tsp of cumin, corriander and tumeric (or to taste). Stir through 2 medium sized diced potatoes and add a cup of water. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until potatoes are nearly cooked, add your choice of seafood (I used a good fresh marinara mix from my fish monger), add frozen peas, cover again and occasionally stir till seafood is cooked through.

Not the greatest photo as the fish and potato look kinda similar after cooking but turned out really good.

X2yb1Pv.jpg
That cau cau looks on point!

Tinnie said:

Looks fantastic!  :drooling:  :drooling:  :drooling:

I must have arrived in Trujillo on a Tuesday then, as i had every intention of trying this soup only to find out id missed it by a day  :doh:

Ive always want to try this as, with the exception of home cooking, you dont really see many Peruvian soups with legumes..... maybe habas in chupe??.... most seem to revolve heavily around potato and/or grain.....
Also the name Shambar.... very strange name in comparison to other dishes.... almost sounds like an Arabic name as opposed to a Latin or Quechua.... 
Thanks man! I was wondering about the name as well, so I did some research. This article really dives into the history of shambar. As far as the name, this section I highlighted explains the origin pretty well.
http://valescovial.blogspot.com/2012/08/gastronomia-trujillana-shambar-plato.html?m=1

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181117-222552_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20181117-222552_Chrome.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 82
Still working out what i want to try but one thing i love for some odd reason is dried potato instead of fresh. I like the texture i guess. So how well do you think papa seca would workout in a dry style beef stew? Our market has them. I see its more commonly used in a pork stew. I want something more similar to a classic beef stew but with panca paste or powder for mild heat.

ATM though ive got some ham i need to use up so im going to try canary beans instead of GWN for a pretty typical ham and beans. Might add some fresh thyme and a tiny bit of amarillo paste or mild green chiles.

Sounds like an interesting experiment SMDS.
I do love a good Irish stew.
Common ingredients for pollo a la brasa are aji panca, black beer or stout and herbs such as oregano or rosemary...
So its not so far fetched you could make these flavours work in a traditional beef stew.... i hope it comes out well for you...

1) Is there such a thing as "pastel con carne y papas seca"? More or less a big ass empanada made with ground beef, a little Mexican chorizo and papas seca. Actually this is gunna be a full sized pie with crust top and bottom.

2) what is the best way to prep papas secas before the actual cooking starts and how long do they need to cook? Can they just be rinsed and simmered in the stock/meat mixture or is soaking first a must?

Back