• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Common Store Bought Peppers, Grow or No?

Do you grow common peppers you can buy everyday in a store?

• No : Why grow something I can go buy any day of the week?

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • No : Those are boring! I can grow something more exotic

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Yes : I'm self sufficant leaning and would rather grow my own so I know where they have been

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Yes: Because I can grow them better or customize them more. (Growing to full ripeness/Picking in the

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Yes: Use in such quanties that it is most economical to grow my own for cost effectiveness

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Yes: Because I sell the fresh peppers.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe: Depends if I have the space. If there is space to kill I grow them, however they are not a pr

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Maybe: Depends on desperation. They are either all I had to work with for seeds/plants due to availi

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Yes: I grow them because that's all I use. I don't need no stinkin' exotic peppers.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Re hybrids: Yes, there are hybrid peppers with both good size and flavor, but for some reason a lot of the ones at the grocery are the bland types. I think somebody in marketing decided they could move more jalapenos if they were more mild.

Judging by what we get here, if they made them any milder you would have to call them cucumbers!

The jalapenos from the grocery store down the road are much hotter than any I grew this year. It was annoying, but I remind myself that store bought peppers are actually pretty bad when it comes to being bathed in chemical soups before being sold. Maybe the extra heat from from a particular brand of pesticide they used.

Back