• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Commonwealth's Cornucopia of Capsicums

Hi y'all, thought I'd start my first grow log here. No photos as of yet as the seeds have not germinated in the greenhouse, but I'm growing a large variety thing year of hots and sweets, and I'm excited.

Currently germinating on the hot side: bhut jolokia, jalapeno, orange hab, datil, long cayenne, czech black, chinese five pepper, fish, pasilla bajio, poblano, NuMex 4-6 Heritage, and Sandia. I'm probably forgetting a couple at the moment. Still awaiting seeds on Aji Cito, Tehrani, Aleppo, Peach Naga, and Bishop's Hat. 

A little about my garden: I'm in zone 7b/8a depending on the year here in coastal VA, but weather has been weird lately. Generally we're looking at frost free from about now until late November. It makes for a good long season, but also one that warms quickly and is damn hot in the summer with humidity more often than not in 80-90%. Our nighttime temperatures in summer drop very little because of the Bay and Atlantic. I'm going to try shading plants a little bit this year, but in the past it's been accurate to say my plants tend to drop a lot of buds during summer heat only to bloom like mad in early autumn when night temperatures start getting below 70 again.

Thanks for the warm welcome I've experienced since I joined the forum; I'm here to learn about as many things as I can.

They're the major focus this year, including the sweets not listed, but also doing some of the quicker cole crops as our spring is short, lettuces, tomatoes, cukes, squash, melons, etc etc. Lucky to have a variety of fruits too.

Currently have a mishmash of fruits, nothing enough to be very productive but enough to eat well during summer - apples, peaches, figs, pomegranates, blackberry, and raspberry. I might be forgetting something. I'm starting to think figs might be a long-term commercial crop here as they thrive here.

I grew up in the garden with my grandfather but frankly I was a kid of the video game era and didn't pay attention or learn while I was there. Started taking gardening more seriously five or six years ago, got heavily into soil science soon after.

Six more varieties seeded today: Aleppo, Tehrani, Bishop's Hat, Aji Citó, Aji Amarillo and Peach Bhut SS. Now the only species I'm missing is C. pubescens.

There's a flock of about 25 that live about a quarter of a mile from me. It's beautiful to see them in such numbers here. Domestic turkeys are among the biggest assholes in a farmyard, but there's something cool about the wild ones.

Seedlings are just coming up, so I don't have much in terms of pepper photos to post. Here's the greenhouse my peppers are currently in, along with a few hundred thousand tomato plants. Greenhouse is about 360' long x about 30'.
cP084qJ.jpg

These greenhouses are further out in the woods off the highway,but you can only go so far off 13. You get the geography here, haha. Not my greenhouse, but I wish it were. A good friend is a manager for one of the major tomato farms, and they have numerous of this size for starting seedlings. He's been kind enough to let me keep my seedlings in one of the greenhouses - there seems to be room to spare with the size of the operation. I'm torn as a local about the tomato farms, because they're almost all big business who aren't contributing much to the local economy. They pay county tax of course, but most of their workers are seasonal migrants so they're not employing locals, they don't take great care of the soil long-term(neither to most of the local farmers, but I'd expect the big companies to look long), all the profits go back into a company located deep South, and then to add insult to injury they pick the tomatoes green and gas them red, so you're not even getting a decent tomato out of the whole mess. That said I admire their efficiency and wish more of the locals and smaller hobby farms were as productive.

Yes I watched 18 wheelers full of green tomatoes drive by as I passed on my way to bow hunt. Not sure which I hate worse...those or the chicken farms :) 

Back