• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Companion planting clover with peppers

Has anyone done any experimenting with companion planting? Perhaps a nitrogen fixing plant such as clover would improve soil for better vegetative growth. Obviously, you could just use ferts or compost but I was just thinking about this as a different way to help create better soils.

I have fava beans where I will be transplanting peppers in April. I'm going to turn the favas under a few weeks before planting peppers. I haven't heard of companion planting peppers and cover crops, but that's not to say it isn't worth trying. According to this page, pepper roots hit a depth of 36-48". I think the thing to do would be find a shallow rooted cover crop as a nitrogen fixer so the two plants aren't competing for space. I haven't found a reference to how deep clover roots go.

I have naturally occurring clover in my gardens(and yard lol). I pull it until my seedlings get bigger(this year they should be big enough at plant out) and then let it go. It began with laziness since the plants were big enough, then I found out it restores Nitrogen so now it will be permanent.

i put clover with most of my trees and plants... i use dutch white clover seeds... i hear they do a better job than others...

Back