• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

pests Companion plants to deter aphids.

Can you all recommend your favorite companion plants to repel aphids? Or perhaps plants that attract predatory insects.

I purchased some marigolds, onions, and chives. Not sure if I want to use these or purchase some other plants for the purpose of deterring aphids and or attracting helpful insects to my pepper raised bed.

I grow several herbs with my peppers. Basil, sage, rosemary, chives and cilantro. I also grow marigolds and white clover. I found that besides just planting to repel the aphids it also helps to plant something else to attract them away from your plants. The two that worked best for me were sunflowers and wild grape vines. The aphids loved them and ignored the rest of my garden.

I'm growing things not so much to repel but to attract beneficials. Marigolds, dill, lavender, parsley, basil, fennel, cilantro and a couple of others. If you grow carrots and let a few go to seed the flowers they put out are good for attracting beneficial insects.

I plan on hopefully using no pesticides this year. I went mantis egg sack hunting and was lucky enough to find two and am waiting for them to hatch. Hopefully they don't until plant out time. I'll be buying ladybugs and lacewing eggs to help get a jump start on hopefully building and keeping colonies on the property.

Back