• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Complete Newbie Grower

Checked all the FAQ but the only question I cannot find an answer to is germinating and growing temperature. I plan to germinate on a heat pad at 75 degrees. At what AIR temperature should I keep my growing closet at? The seedling trays will still be on a heat pad at 75 degrees should I keep the air temperature up there also?  Thanks

If properly insulated the air will become the temperature of the heat mat, but the air above the trays doesn't matter too much anyway because the trays are touching the mat and will heat quickly.  Soil is pretty dense so it will retain its temperature pretty well.  Also, welcome!  This is my first year growing from seed too and it's been a challenge but I'd say it's definitely worth it.

I would think about a little more heat for germinating.  75 might work, but I ususally try to keep mine between 85 and 95.  Seems to go faster that way.  Mine grow up in a cool basement, air is no more than 68 or so at the most.

Back