• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Compost

I just bought a 32 gallon garbage can for 15 bucks and I am going to useit for a compost bin. If it is full Ina couple of months will it still be good for next year? How long does compost stay good?

Organic matter > compost > soil

The longer it has been, the more will be converted to actual soil by the worms/bugs/micro-organisms. It doesn't "go bad" per say. As it turns to soil scoup it out and put it in another container. Sift out the worms ect an put them back in the compost bucket. Just keep giving more organic material so you don't get this nice and healthy pile....and then kill all your helpers.

This is what I bought
http://www.wikihow.com/Build-a-Tumbling-Composter

And I was told to restart the bacteria add urine. Ackward using a jug to then pour over it, but it got things going again quickly.

I was just going to tip mine over and roll it on the ground to give it some oxygen. Seems alot easyer that building a tumbler.

Good idea there. Someone on here made one by just screwing a couple of short pieces of 2x4 on the inside of the can. Try that and you have an instant stirrer!

I built 2 tumblers out of the blue plastic 55 gallon drums. They work really well, and don't take much effort to turn them.
This youtube vid isn't mine, but gives you an idea of what I did.
I built mine using 4x4 posts bolted to concrete footings for a stand. Nothing near as complicated as what the vid shows.
I took a toilet flange and mounted it through the bottom center of the drum and connected it to a piece of black pipe like in the video up the center with a cap on the end. You drill holes along internal pipe for ventilation, and a couple of holes around the top rim. I also added more cross bars in a pie pattern around the bottom half of the barrel to churn up the compost more. If you don't add cross bars the compost just slides back and forth and you get a giant rotten clump of oops.
No Camera or I would take pics for you. if you search Youtube you'll find a lot of videos on how to build them a lot cheaper than buying them, and they're a lot easier on your back than turning piles over.

Back