• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Comptine's Swedish Glog 2016

Hello friends!

To keep me from adding more peppers to my grow list for the season I am now starting my 2016 glog. I'm still a week or two out from starting, but the prep is starting.

The quick breakdown of last year is: I started really late (first time grower), I wanted to do only super hots for the lols at first. Combined with a terribly cold and not particularly sunny summer, I got extremely few supers, if any on some plants, and I had to many plants of the same variety. I had a few annuums that did OK.

The theme this year is variety. I'm trying to grow peppers that are aesthetically nice looking, as well as trying to spread out the heat levels and trying some from each of the 5 popular sub species.

The progress so far is that I think I have a pretty good finalised list. I'm planning on getting seedling starter soil any day now. I need to dig out the root trainer pots, I think those will work better and will save me from having to pot up too soon. I will only keep two of the same kind, one as back up, and the back up will probably be given away once the main one is established. There may be an exception to this, I might need a few more jalapeño plants, last summer I was making both jalapeño marmalade and chilli candies, that were hugely popular so I might need to up production on those. I have 34 different varieties on my list and this should be manageable.

Without further ado, this is the list.

Annuum
Cayenne Golden Started 24/2 - 3 plants
Cayenne Yellow (JWC10ct) Started 1/1 - 2 plants
Farmer's Market Jalapeño Started 24/2 - 2 plants
Jalastar Started 24/2 - 5 plants
Mulato Isleno (Bricklayer) Started 24/2 - 2 plants
Piquin (EvanWilliams1988) Started 23/2 - 0 germinated
Purple Piquin Started 3/1 - 2 plants
Takanotsume Started 24/2 - 1 plant
Zimbabwe Bird Started 23/2 - 1 plants

Chinense
[SIZE=14.6667px]Aji Jobito Started 9/1 - 3 [/SIZE]plants
Aji Margariteño Started 9/1 - 2 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Beni Highlands (JWC10ct) [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
Bonda Ma Jacques Started 12/1 - 2 plants
Chupetinho Started 12/1 - 1 plant
[SIZE=14.6667px]Habanero Hand Grenade Yellow(JWC10ct) [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
Habanero Jelly Bean Started 3/1 - 0 germinated
[SIZE=14.6667px]Habanero Orange Apple (JWC10ct) [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 1 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Habanero White Bullet (EvanWilliams1988) [/SIZE]Started 23/2 - 0 germinated
Habanero White Bullet (Tsurrie) Started 3/1 - 1 plant
Malaysian Goronong Red Started 12/1 - 2 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Scotch Bonnet MOA (TridentChilli) [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Scotch Bonnet Tobago (TridentChilli) [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
Trinidad Seasoning Started 12/1 - 1 plant

Baccatum
[SIZE=14.6667px]Aji Omnicolour ([/SIZE]JWC10ct[SIZE=14.6667px])[/SIZE] Started 24/2 - 1 plants
Aji Pineapple (JWC10ct) Started 1/1 - 3 plants

[SIZE=14.6667px]Bishop’s Hat
Brazilian Starfish (rghm) [/SIZE]Started 1/1 - 3 plants
Lemon Drop (Seed Train) Started 24/2 - 2 plants

Frutescense
[SIZE=14.6667px]Aji Charapita (Rory) [/SIZE]Started 23/2 - 1 plant
[SIZE=14.6667px]Aji Chuncho [/SIZE]Started 12/1 - 0 germinated Absolute failure, will probably not grow.

[SIZE=14.6667px]Prik Kee Noo Suan [/SIZE]Started 23/2 - 3 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Tabasco [/SIZE]Started 23/2 - 1 plant

Pubescense
[SIZE=14.6667px]Aji Oro Already have two plants from end of last summer
Habanero Manzano ([/SIZE]JWC10ct[SIZE=14.6667px]) [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Locato Red [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Peru Bitdumi [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 2 plants
[SIZE=14.6667px]Rio Huallaga [/SIZE]Started 12/1 - 1 plant
[SIZE=14.6667px]Rocoto Mini [/SIZE]Started 9/1 - 1 plants

Unknown
Chinese Pot Started 12/1 - 2 plants

I know that I have missed some credit, so many people have been generous to me with seeds this past year, for that I'm grateful. I look forward to the coming season.

Yeesh... I don't like slugs either. Hopefully the damage hasn't been too bad. I got some maggots in about half of my Jalapenos this year... if it's not one thing, it's another, eh? :rolleyes:

stickman said:
Yeesh... I don't like slugs either. Hopefully the damage hasn't been too bad. I got some maggots in about half of my Jalapenos this year... if it's not one thing, it's another, eh? :rolleyes:

Yeah, I guess, last year it was aphids. I think I'm starting to get the population down, I'm not seeing as many of them anymore. 

Malarky said:
When you cut a slug in half both ends regenerate and you get 2 slugs ;-)

You do realise this isn't true... 

Damn slugs are overpopulating over here. Need to buy ducks or something... Someone should figure out how to make a fertilizer or something from slugs... :)

Sorry for the absence guys, I'll try to do an update best I can. I will need a bump later though.

So, we had one frosty morning at the start of October, most plants actually survived it, I think two or three suffered quite a bit of damage. But since then we've not had temps below 2-3 degrees, which has been fine. We're not expecting the next frost until November now, which is really late for Sweden. Great for the plants though. I've been giving away lots of ripe fruit to friends, so I haven't had huge harvest pictures, but I'll show you what I do have.

This was a quick 10 minute inspection where I picked off some ripe fruits. The Rio Huallaga is supposed to be yellow, which it isn't I just realised. There are two peppers on this picture I just can't remember what they were, one looks like a MOA.

I've finally bought a fruit dryer and have been processing the peppers.

Most peppers moved into the conservatory the night we were expecting frost. The house gives off just enough heat to give these guys a degree or two more at night.

Supposedly Bonda Ma Jacques, I think the pods look a bit off.

MOA

Hab Hand Grenade Yellow (not particularly yellow though)

These 3L air pots were simply too small to give a decent crop of chinenses, I think they would have worked better for a fructesence type of pepper that yields a lot of small fruits.

The Rio Huallaga grew quite large and has at least 30 (probably more) big and think fruits on it.

Bump please.

Yoda_bump.thumb.jpg.ce600f8e48f73b85c003e3ab41c8fbc8.jpg

Here ya go Alana... how did you like the powder blend?

The Rocoto Mini, somehow I expected these to mature quickly, but they took their sweet time.

Trinidad Perfume, most pods are puny, but I did get a few medium sized ones with the correct shape.

The (probably not) tabasco. Very pretty plant.

I like the way the takanotsume looks.

The (not) Purple Pequin, lots of pods still on it, this was a great producer, pods slightly hotter than a cayenne.

My Habanero White Bullet. I keep breaking branches when I walk past it. Very aromatic.

My poor Brazilian Star fish, it was a late bloomer, I've not had a ripe pod yet, I'm hoping I get at least one.

The Malaysian Goronong, I love the look of these pods.

I have a few more plants in the greenhouse that I did not have pictures of. I'll have to snap them later. Now, I haven't tried all pods myself yet, but I have the intention to. I want to know how each one tastes for future reference. I'll also try to to a full write up on all the peppers I grew this year later.

Great update Alana looks by all those pods you have had a good season .... What you could do to try and get some colour on the Brazilian Star Fish is cut back any new growth and flowers ... I also reduce watering to a minimum almost shocking the plants into thinking their time is nearly up and they must produce fruit ... all the best for 2017 and thoughts on varieties

Very nice peppers you got there. The pics are great.
It looks like you had a great season and prolonging it well fighting those cold nights and days with moving the plants inside. No doubt you'll get a few more ripe pods that way.
(One of my last plants that still has more than 20 pods on it is Malaysian Goronong... they're ripe, and ready to be used. They're hotter than I expected too. Very nice chinense flavor and taste though. Maybe I'll make a sauce just out of them...)
Wishing you good luck and keep it up. Good work!

dragonsfire said:
Great looking Plants!!
My Trinidad Perfume is about a bushy 5 inches, seam to be a slow grower.

Yeah, I find most chinenses to be very slow growers. But even though the fruits were small, I'm pleased about the quantity. 

Rymerpt said:
Lovin all the pics

Cheers! 

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Healthy looking plants! How is the flavor on the Rio Huallaga? I'm thinking of growing it next year.

I haven't gotten around to trying it yet actually. I need to get on that, I'll let you know! 

Trident chilli said:
Great update Alana looks by all those pods you have had a good season .... What you could do to try and get some colour on the Brazilian Star Fish is cut back any new growth and flowers ... I also reduce watering to a minimum almost shocking the plants into thinking their time is nearly up and they must produce fruit ... all the best for 2017 and thoughts on varieties

I'm very pleased with my season this year, most plants produced, which is a lot more than they did last year. I'm still learning, but the curve wasn't as steep this time around. I'll definitely try cutting back on the starfish, I'd like to get at least one ripe pod to try out. I haven't really planned 2017 yet, but I still have a lot of SB's that you sent me last year and I didn't get a chance to grow this time. Some will definitely go on the list. 

tsurrie said:
Very nice peppers you got there. The pics are great.
It looks like you had a great season and prolonging it well fighting those cold nights and days with moving the plants inside. No doubt you'll get a few more ripe pods that way.
(One of my last plants that still has more than 20 pods on it is Malaysian Goronong... they're ripe, and ready to be used. They're hotter than I expected too. Very nice chinense flavor and taste though. Maybe I'll make a sauce just out of them...)
Wishing you good luck and keep it up. Good work!

Thank you! Yes, I believe taking them inside helped tremendously. I haven't tried the goronong yet, but I grew that one mostly because of the looks. 

I agree with Scott, great grow this season.

Plants looking good inside!

Plants are looking good. The Takanotsume is a great looking plant. I've grown them in the past. I replaced it with the Sadabahar. A really hot one from India. Grows similar, except the pods have a little twist. The Sadabahar is really hot for a Annuum. Up there with Tepin heat wise.

Back