• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Computer geeks?

I have my customers fill out a survey on survey monkey and it shows their IP address. Is there any way to discern who is who by looking at their emails? There was a specific survey I need to identify! When I look at the properties of the email from that person I see the first two numbers from the IP address on Survey Monkey. So does that mean it is the same person? Thanks

No, it does not mean that - you need the full IP address to discern a given computer. You should also be aware that, depending upon how people use their computers and connect to the internet, their IP address can change as much as every day or even more than once in a day. Again, depends upon several factors, but a portion of an IP address is not reliable for the way you want to use it.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if you've told people that completing the survey is confidential, you have ethical questions to ask yourself if you're going to try to discern who said what.

I know it may change every day but is their any resemblance on an email to what it was on the survey? There is an odd resemblance I am seeing. 76.113. are the beginning numbers on both.
In this case, with this person and her response it is required I find out which customer it was. I need to make sure I don't let her continue on. Long story.

I know it may change every day but is their any resemblance on an email to what it was on the survey? There is an odd resemblance I am seeing. 76.113. are the beginning numbers on both.
In this case, with this person and her response it is required I find out which customer it was. I need to make sure I don't let her continue on. Long story.
Welcome to the internet.
In a word----no.
You could match the email header info from a known address to an IP from your survey, if you received regular email from a named source (me@anymail.com for example) but as may are on dynamic ip's that can change any time, and many are on routers, it's a long shot.
You can narrow it down by running a whois on the IP, but if they are really intent and slightly knowledgeable, they could bounce off of proxies and make your efforts a living hell.

Any time you ask for survey feedback, assume not all of it will be favorable.
Here there be dragons. (and trolls).

Thanks so much! That did it. It showed as Comcast and only one of my customers has Comcast- the one I suspected. Oddly enough she just handed my hub a check for a fall share. Eek! :shocked: I think she :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: .

Back