• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Computer Help - Missing Drives

So, I went to install the software for my digital camera last night so I could get my FFS pics up, and all of the sudden, a ton of drives on my computer are missing! They just disappeared. Several of the drives were for my card reader, but more importantly are were my portable HD and my second hard drive in my computer - the portable HD contains all my backup files and my music library, and the second HD contains most of my non-OS related applications. Quick restore didn't help. Any suggestions?

What operating system are you using ?

Try to get into the BIOS (will depend on OS) and see if they're being detected in there.

Move the external drive to another USB port. It should get re-detected.

Don't panic, its very unlikely any of your drives have crashed, its just a software glitch.

Well, on top of it all, now it doesn't seem to be reading any of my USB devices (portable HD, printer, thumb drives, etc.). It may be a while til I get those pics up, and I'm too pissed right now to review the show.

Bent -
I'm using windows XP, SP2

I'll try the BIOS, but it seems like the only thing my comp recognizes is the HD, and the two DVD drives.

sounds like your mainboard may have died.

to get into the bios on xp tap the f2 OR Del key straight after you turn the power on.

It'll take you to a new screen where you need to use arrow keys, Esc & Enter to get around.
The first page will have a list of what drives it can see.

Dont change anything in there just take a look.

GrumpyBear said:
are you using a usb hub?

No, I'm not; just the ones built into my computer.

DevilDuck said:
Big Giant Hammer.

That happened to me once, I had to reformat everything.

It's just easier to use the hammer.

DD, after you formatted and reinstalled, everything worked fine again? This is starting to look more and more like the way to go unfortunately.

bentalphanerd said:
What operating system are you using ?

Try to get into the BIOS (will depend on OS) and see if they're being detected in there.

Move the external drive to another USB port. It should get re-detected.

I got into BIOS, and they aren't being detected there. None of my USB ports work, I found that out when I switched the portable HD to another port.

I also tried updating the drivers, and that didn't help.

Yeah, it worked just fine, but I lost everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) on the hard drive. If you can, back up everything you want to keep on a DVD or multiple CDs.

Oh, and don't perforate your hard drive. It'll give you the option, just select "no".

DevilDuck said:
Yeah, it worked just fine, but I lost everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) on the hard drive. If you can, back up everything you want to keep on a DVD or multiple CDs.

Oh, and don't perforate your hard drive. It'll give you the option, just select "no".

Guess that's what I'm going to do. At least afterwards I won't be so pissed that I can't think straight. Thanks for the advice DD.

DevilDuck said:

I assume you mean partition, and why wouldn't you want to. If you have any important data on your PC partitioning can save a major disaster!

you should take note of your mainboard model & number because you're going to need to reinstall all the board drivers.

Take the cover off your comp box and it'll be stencilled on the board. - Go to the manufacturers website, look it up & get all the drivers.

Dont forget to hit Windows update & get everything as soon as its up & running again.

Well, I undertook the monumental task of backing up things I wanted to back up on DVD...then I put the Restore CD in, input the windows key...and it tells me the freaking key is wrong! I triple check to make sure I copied the code off the side of my computer correctly, and that I typed it in correctly...still no dice. I refuse to buy Vista because I know I will have trouble running some of my old software.

dreamtheatervt said:
Well, I undertook the monumental task of backing up things I wanted to back up on DVD...then I put the Restore CD in, input the windows key...and it tells me the freaking key is wrong! I triple check to make sure I copied the code off the side of my computer correctly, and that I typed it in correctly...still no dice. I refuse to buy Vista because I know I will have trouble running some of my old software.

Man, you gotta hate that. Who did you buy it from & how long ago?

is it xp home or xp pro?

Well, the problem was that I actually grabbed the one for my laptop. I have since found the desktop one, and reinstalled windows XP. It didn't work. I'm going to format the HD and reinstall. It's a good thing this weekend is both cold and clock forward weekend, because this has been consuming it.

dreamtheatervt said:
Well, the problem was that I actually grabbed the one for my laptop. I have since found the desktop one, and reinstalled windows XP. It didn't work. I'm going to format the HD and reinstall. It's a good thing this weekend is both cold and clock forward weekend, because this has been consuming it.

That is horrible! Hope it's all up & running soon. I can't wait to hear your review. Are the photos totally gone too?:rolleyes:

Technology is annoying, but I guess it's better than being a Luddite.

dreamtheatervt said:
Well, the problem was that I actually grabbed the one for my laptop.

I've done this before.

dreamtheatervt said:
I have since found the desktop one, and reinstalled windows XP. It didn't work. I'm going to format the HD and reinstall. It's a good thing this weekend is both cold and clock forward weekend, because this has been consuming it.

If you can, I would try running the portable drives on another computer first. Do they show up on your laptop? What brand of camera?

Good luck,

RS

Back