• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

cone9 2016 Glog - Late and Lazy

I got started a bit later this year(by design). Now I'm regretting the decision to do so. Many of my plants are still tiny. My largest are only about two inches tall.
Quite a few of my seeds germinated but the cotties struggled to uncurl or the terminal half turned brown.  Although many survived their growth has been slow.  It wasn't damping off but I wonder if to much water was to blame.

But, I am under way now.

While a few of these were started just to give to friends, I'll probably not be able to resist growing them all myself as well.

I'm pretty excited about this year's list. I am leaning a bit more to the sweet and sweet/heat peppers in deference to my taste for canned sweet-hots.

Corbaci Sweet
Zololisty
Sugar Rush Cream
Cream Fatalii
Aji Jobito
Aji Rosita Yellow
Aji Rosita Red
Aji Margariteno
Aji Pepon
Aji Llaneron
Pimenta Barra do Ribeiro
Brazilian Starfish
Bolsa de Dulce
Ethiopian Brown
El Oro de Ecuador
Guajillo
CAP 267
Aji Angelo
Big Jim (World Record but not likely in my garden)
Bhut Jolokia White
Queen Laurie
Serrano (sweet)
Devil's Tongue Red
Tepin x Lemon Drop F4
Pimenta de Neyda
Wild Brazil
Galapagos Red x CNG 21500
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow CARDI
Slonovo Uvo
Lemon Drop
Marupi
Pimenta L
Early Jalapeno
Sante Fe Grande
Ecuadorian Sweet Rocato

Some old friends and some new.
Some disappointments not even out of the gate.

Zololisty, Sugar Rush Cream, Aji Rosita Yellow, Aji Pepon, Aji Llaneron, and El Oro de Ecuador have not germinated or immediately died. I even tried, to no avail, a second round of seed. This is the second year in a row I've failed with El Oro de Ecuador and with different seed sources no less. I really want to grow these, so I'll probably try again next year.

Ethiopian Brown is quite a departure from what I would typically choose to grow. The description was so enticing I had to give it a try.

I wanted a hot pepper that matured white for use in some white hot sauces this year. I settled on the Bhut Jolokia White after I tasted a pod sent to me last year by inolan22. That pepper, with the requisite Jolokia heat, had such a clean, bright taste that I was sold. I am growing from the seed saved from Isaac's pepper.

Serrano (sweet) is interesting. I am not certain what I will have here. I grew these last year. The seed was saved from a normal Serrano pepper I got in a SFRB the previous year. I just wanted to grow some Serrano peppers. But, instead of normal Serrano peppers, my plant produced pods with a broader shoulder and more of a sweetness than a Serrano.

Devil's Tongue Red. These I tasted last year and really liked the flavor. Plenty hot but the flavor still shined through.

MiChris sent me a whole box of his Galapagos Red x CNG 21500 cross last year as well as some isolated seed. A very good pepper. I wasn't sure they would make my cut this season until I opened a jar of them I had canned in a sweet-hot brine. So good, they were on for this year for sure!

I also have two over wintered peppers.  There's a heavily branched 30" Bolsa de Dulce that is leafing out really well in the grow room and a Cream Fatalii.  Only one 15" branch survived the winter on the Cream Fatalii but it is covered with healthy leaves.  I should have some early peppers of two delicious varieties!

And so it begins!

I'll post pics later when (hopefully) I'm not embarrassed by how my plants look!

Thanks Scott.  I'm really pleased so far with this year's grow and, of course, excited to make my choices for next year soon as well.

Myrtle was great.  The weather couldn't have been better.  Paula and I were talking on the trip home about how lucky we have been with our vacations there.  We have never had bad weather that interrupted our plans at all.  Last week was Mustang Week - so cool if you are into muscle cars.  We were right behind a couple who paired up for a street race from the light just north of the northern Kirk's location (a business that we know so well !)   I'd get cited for that but during Mustang Week I guess the police turn a blind eye - and understandably so as those event no doubt bring a lot of cash to the community..

cone9 said:
Thanks Scott.  I'm really pleased so far with this year's grow and, of course, excited to make my choices for next year soon as well.

Myrtle was great.  The weather couldn't have been better.  Paula and I were talking on the trip home about how lucky we have been with our vacations there.  We have never had bad weather that interrupted our plans at all.  Last week was Mustang Week - so cool if you are into muscle cars.  We were right behind a couple who paired up for a street race from the light just north of the northern Kirk's location (a business that we know so well !)   I'd get cited for that but during Mustang Week I guess the police turn a blind eye - and understandably so as those event no doubt bring a lot of cash to the community..
 Me muscle cars?

My latest:

scat.jpg

High 11's with street slicks. This ride can easily get one into trouble..half the fun ;)

Really nice, Scott.  I can imagine it must be such a non-stop temptation to show off what it was built to do to anyone watching (or just for your own enjoyment, especially your own enjoyment )!
Your latest - so I also want to see the others.

My first car was a '68 Barracuda Fastback. Need I mention how many times I wished I still had it?  It was just a stock "family" edition but I loved.  In high school I worked at a local department store that would be then's equivalent of Walmart and saved money to buy a car.  My dad took me to a friends used car dealership.  This was in the spring of '73.  Dad thought I should buy the '69 Buick Skylark @ $875 but I only had eyes for the Plymouth @ $1400.  A lot of money then, but what a bargain now.  Oddly, before I bought the Barracuda I drove the family car to work - a '68 Caprice Classic, another car I'd give my left nut to have today.
peppamang said:
Really impressive grow Dave! Wish mine looked this good! haha
Thank you. peppamang.  I am honored you choose my glog for your first post.

Let me be the first to welcome you to The Hot Pepper.  If you are into the heat you have found your second home!

Thanks for the warm welcome Dave.
'68 Plymouth Barracuda? Damn, they just don't make em like that anymore. The shit I'd give for my left nut? Hell, they say you only need one of em to do the job!

cone9 said:
Really nice, Scott.  I can imagine it must be such a non-stop temptation to show off what it was built to do to anyone watching (or just for your own enjoyment, especially your own enjoyment )!
Your latest - so I also want to see the others.

My first car was a '68 Barracuda Fastback. Need I mention how many times I wished I still had it?  It was just a stock "family" edition but I loved.  In high school I worked at a local department store that would be then's equivalent of Walmart and saved money to buy a car.  My dad took me to a friends used car dealership.  This was in the spring of '73.  Dad thought I should buy the '69 Buick Skylark @ $875 but I only had eyes for the Plymouth @ $1400.  A lot of money then, but what a bargain now.  Oddly, before I bought the Barracuda I drove the family car to work - a '68 Caprice Classic, another car I'd give my left nut to have today.

Thanks Dave ;)

Old Cuda?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LabX19ocJZA

My first car since the early 80's. I had a few bad ass cars when I was younger. My first was a 65 Nova I bought for 15 bucks in 72. Ripped out everything and put a 60 over 283 (292) with a solid cam, high compression pistons, hi-rise and Holley carb. Headers, 4 speed close ratio Muncie, and 456 gears. I did that when I was 15 working for $1 an hour. Remember those days? Then there was the 350 Vega, yet more trouble..LOL. The last one was an 81 El Camino I purchased new. After a few years I put a newly built 300hp 350 with a few mods, cam, headers, tweaked carb, custom built trans, 342 rear end. It was a fun car and got 18mpg. This new one, I decided it's too expensive to build one I want, and even then it would get 6mpg. This one has 500hp with a mod, Air conditioning, and it's new getting 22.5 mpg! We purchased a lifetime warranty 999,000 miles 999 months. So  then the next day LB wanted a Charger, so she drives a Hemi too...LOL

peppamang said:
Thanks for the warm welcome Dave.
'68 Plymouth Barracuda? Damn, they just don't make em like that anymore. The shit I'd give for my left nut? Hell, they say you only need one of em to do the job!

Yes, indeed, and thank God for that!  While I'd love to have a '68 Barracuda again it would mostly live in the garage.  If I'd get caught driving in the rain, three days later it would be rusted through somewhere.

Devv said:

Thanks Dave ;)

Old Cuda?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LabX19ocJZA

My first car since the early 80's. I had a few bad ass cars when I was younger. My first was a 65 Nova I bought for 15 bucks in 72. Ripped out everything and put a 60 over 283 (292) with a solid cam, high compression pistons, hi-rise and Holley carb. Headers, 4 speed close ratio Muncie, and 456 gears. I did that when I was 15 working for $1 an hour. Remember those days? Then there was the 350 Vega, yet more trouble..LOL. The last one was an 81 El Camino I purchased new. After a few years I put a newly built 300hp 350 with a few mods, cam, headers, tweaked carb, custom built trans, 342 rear end. It was a fun car and got 18mpg. This new one, I decided it's too expensive to build one I want, and even then it would get 6mpg. This one has 500hp with a mod, Air conditioning, and it's new getting 22.5 mpg! We purchased a lifetime warranty 999,000 miles 999 months. So  then the next day LB wanted a Charger, so she drives a Hemi too...LOL

Isn't the second childhood wonderful?  Well...maybe not wonderful, but at least we can be glad it's there at all.

My former neighbor had a '73 Challenger with a 340.  He, unlike me, had the ability/knowledge to modify it himself.  My late mother-in-law as at our house while Greg's car was idling in the driveway, sounding, as you will well know, as if it was always on the brink of stalling.  Pat glanced over and frowned a bit; "I hope he get's that running right".  I smiled at my wife who was smiling back when I said; "That car's running exactly the way he wants it too!"

Some new pics from this morning - hope you dew ( :rolleyes:) not  mind the moisture!

Big Jim World Record - not even close yet!

Brazilian Starfish - first ones almost ripe, a welcome sight as these are one of my favorite peppers.  I cut back to just one plant this year as they are so productive.

CAP 267 - I can't wait, but I am, for this to ripen.  These guys are delicious.

The old fart reaching in to take the CAP 267 pic

Aji Angelo - another new variety for me this year.  These pods are well over 4".

Serranno Sweet - lots of pods coming on.

Thanks for looking

cone9 said:
Some new pics from this morning - hope you dew ( :rolleyes:) not  mind the moisture!

Big Jim World Record - not even close yet!

Brazilian Starfish - first ones almost ripe, a welcome sight as these are one of my favorite peppers.  I cut back to just one plant this year as they are so productive.

CAP 267 - I can't wait, but I am, for this to ripen.  These guys are delicious.

The old fart reaching in to take the CAP 267 pic

Aji Angelo - another new variety for me this year.  These pods are well over 4".

Serranno Sweet - lots of pods coming on.

Thanks for looking

Regarding the "old fart" picture: no fair you still have hair! I look in the mirror and see "Homer Simpson", except he has mo hair..LOL

Glad to see the poddage. you always have a fantastic grow!

Keep it green Dave!

Wild Brazil loaded up but no color yet

Ripe and delicious Brazilian Starfish

Slonovo Uvo - this plant is only about 18" tall but loaded with big peppers.  I ate a single smaller pepper from this plant earlier in the season

A smaller one of the Aji Margariteno peppers is turning

Ethiopian Brown - looking forward to seeing what these taste like

Aji Jobito - I have four plants - all podding up - so, I hope I lke them!

Marupi

Tepin x Lemon Drop

Today.  Coloring up nicely.

Slonovo Ovu  -  a storm a couple days ago bent a branch that holds two of the other peppers on this plant.  I'm watching and hoping they survive.

Saranno sweet 

I think my Bhut Jolokia Whites are  Not Bhut Jolokia Whites.  Pretty color - I'll see soon what they are like.

Sante Fe Grande - such a good pepper

Devil's Tongue Red - hell of a pretty pepper

Wild Brazil

Aji Margariteno

Pimenta Barra do Ribeiro

Great lookin pod's. Plants look nice and healthy. +1 on what Scott said.

I really enjoyed the conversation on old cars.

I've never had anything to talk about. 65 Plymouth Valiant. 70 Coupe Deville. 71 super beetle with a bad ass 1776.

Now have a 62 convertible VW Beetle a 82 Toyota 4x4 pickup. I just like working on old stuff. Nothing like point and valve adjustment. LOL

Thanks for sharing

Gardens looking great, you're going to get arthritis trying to pick all those wild brazil. Make a tasty powder though... sooo many seeds. My orange wild brazil will need to be picked soon, not many pods on my regular wild brazil, I started it really late but will be overwintering. What do you normally do with them?

My Big Jim plant is buried in the middle of my patch overshadowed by taller plants (some fool didn't plan very well for plant height!).  I just noticed last night that it had ripened.
I picked it today to measure for the Big Jim contest.

My Tepin x Lemon Drop has podded up nicely.  Most of these are destined to be pickled, probably tomorrow is time permits.

Pimenta Barra do Ribeiro - nothing ripe yet, but a beautiful plant with an impressive setting of peppers.

Would you guess that I like this plant?
I think these peppers will eventually turn red.

Aji Rosita Red almost ready

Ethiopian Brown  starting to color up.  These peppers are about 4" long.  I don't know much about them.  I got the seed from Chris Phillips.  Most people who have commented about them like the flavor.  I am anxious to see for myself.

Back