• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

cone9 - The Epilogue (2014 Glog)

Well, lets give this a go - it certainly won't be up to par with some of these great Glogs but...

I just planted this morning.  Last year I started my plants in March.  This year I'm more on the ball (I hope!).
I decided to try Oasis Rootcubes.  I bought a 104 cell sheet of the 1 1/4" cubes.  They are housed in a Jiffy seed starting greenhouse atop a Milliard heat mat.  Temperature is at 78 degrees F.

Once I get some growth, light will be a hodgepodge  of T5 and cheap ebay LED bulbs.

I had pared my list down to 15 - it grew to 18 - I planted 19 with a few more seeds evincing such arguments for inclusion I'll probably be wetting them soon as well.  It is so hard to say no to pepper seeds!

Planted so far:

1/1     7 Pot Bubblegum 
2/2     7 Pot White
1/1     Aji Dulce Yellow
6/6     Aji Lemon Drop
2/2     Aji Omnicolor x unknown baccatum (SanPatricio)
2/2     Ancient Sweet
4/4     Brazilian Starfish
2/2     Charapita
1/1     Cherry Bomb
2/2     Creme Fatalii
2/2     Fatalii x Red Savina (justaguy)
2/2     Jamaican Gold
1/1     Mako Kokoo 
3/3     Manzano 
2/2     Queen Laurie - one didn't make it after a helmet head but the remaining plant is doing great.
1/1     Rain Forest - this one is growing very slowly, not a healthy looking plant.
2/2     Seasoning Pepper
2/2     Tepin x Lemon Drop (smileyguy697)
2/2     Urfa Biber
/\ cells germinated/cells planted

2-9-2014:
1/2     C. galapagoense
1/2     C. chacoense

2-16-2014
1/2 TS Yellow CARDI

Awesome little stream there; ever any danger of flooding?

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Wow that is a lot of rain, garden looks awesome. I am sure everything will bounce back. 

PaulG said:
Awesome little stream there; ever any danger of flooding?
Goettge Run (our stream) usually rises like this with the heavy spring rains we get here.  It often gets as high as the pic above (but I've never seen it so high in August!).  We've lived here for 21 years and I have seen it flood the low area on the other side which is a few inches lower than our yard.  For this stream to rise that high it first has to flood some of the fields upstream so it's a LOT more water to do that.

Here is three hours later. So,you can see how fast it goes down.

Since many of the plants were down I did some picking before up-righting them.  I had thought I might pickle some peppers today anyway, so now I'm committed to pickling some peppers today!

We have:
Seasoning peppers, Fatalii x Red Savina, Urfa Biber (the green ones off from the storm), Aji Lemon Drop, Mako Kokoo, Aji Dulce Yellow, Aji Omnicolor x unknown bacc., Tomato Pepper

7 Pot White, Cherry Bomb(?), Brazilian Starfish, Cream Fatalii, TS Yellow CARDI, Rain Forest, Ancient Sweet

Nice haul Dave! Glad to see the harvest.

Can you draw water from the run? I would just love to have that flowing though my place.

Pulled some off today.

My plants are producing far beyond what I imagined possible.  Most of the above are are headed to some friends tomorrow, but more are in the pipeline.  I must find some time this week to try making some sauces.  
poypoyking posted some recipes a while back for his Peach Surprise and White Lightning.  I think I may try some variation of those using the pepper varieties I have.

However, I'll welcome any suggestions for sauce recipes (not fermented, I don't want to bother with that just now).

Still waiting for the Queen Lauie, Bolce de Dolce (BER issues) and C. chocoense to ripen, but everything else is producing nicely.  I have one Manzano pod.  I first noticed it when it was a little less than an inch long.  It's growing - now about 1 1/2" long.  I suppose I'll have to move the plant inside to have a chance for it to ripen(?).  We typically get into mid Oct before the weather would do it in.  Is another 6 weeks enough to ripen one of these?

Tomatoes are a different story.  Just like last year - huge plants loaded with fruit just abut to ripen and the blight starts.  Now, two weeks later, I have a bunch of dying plants full of green  or rotting tomatoes.  I think I'll grow red beets and carrots next year instead.  I had not grown carrots for years and this year grew a few kinds in my uncle's garden.  A few matured enough to eat before the deer discovered them and ate all the tops off.  I had forgotten how much better home grown carrots were - so sweet and full of flavor!

It didn't make it.  After taking 30+ days for germination, it put out two true leaves and then stopped.  The color was never right - rather yellowish - and it just sat there like that for a long time until it died.  Maybe I'll give it a try again next season.

The C. chocoense is doing wonderfully well.  It is about two feet tall and loaded up with fruit.  A half dozen or so pods now have a bit of orange coming over the dark green.  It's growing in a pot so it's in the running to be brought in the house for the winter.  I may be able to work 3 or 4 in to the house or office to try to OW as houseplants.  I may try to OW a couple plants in the garage as well.  I had 4 or 5 in the garage last year but lost them when one of the kids came home late and left the garage door up all night - in 20 degree weather!

A study in contrast.

P8201437.jpg

2po9v2b.jpg

I spent a little time on the back forty (feet) today.  

Here I am in the underbrush.  That's me behind the Brazilian Starfish.

Lots of fruit on the C. chacoense.

...and the Charipita.  I've picked 8 or 10 so far but soon there'll be a bunch.  Hot little buggers - wouldn't take many to heat up a fruit based sauce.

Tepin x Lemon Drop plant #2

I crowded up quite a bit - really planted too close together.  There a 4 or 5 plants mingled together here...

...and these are growing on one of them.

I haven't tasted one of these yet, but I suspect when I do it will confirm my suspicion that this is the most inappropriately named hot pepper ever!  
I think I'd have chosen 7 Pot Bleeding Ulcer instead.

I had a little help pruning today.

He mulched those leaves into this:

What do you think of my new mulcher, Scott?

It was a bit warm up here today and he wanted to take a swim after work...

... but I don't think he waited an hour after eating.

Devv said:
You're too funny!

Where you find one, you'll probably find another.

I hate the bastages...
Yeah...I'd found a smaller one on a tomato plant last week.  This one was huge - 'bout 3 1/2 "!  

I've been growing tomatoes all my adult life (as well as helping with my dad's garden as a kid) and had never seen one of these until last summer.

I usually don't find them until they are 2"s or better, the turds compost usually give them away first.

I have found a horn worm on occasion in my gardens. 1 a year except this year, but usually not until the wasps have laid eggs on them and they looked like they are covered with white rice. I have found the best performance is when I have a bed of coals in the fire pit and I drop them on there. They break dance with style. :rofl:

You're welcome, Scott.

It looks like they weathered the trip really well.  What do you think of the Cream Fataliis?

The Brazilian Starfish are my favorites - I'm eating a half dozen or more most days.  So sweet but with a respectable burn as well.  A near perfect pepper for my tastes.  

I love the flavor of those Cream Fataliis, but I wish they had just a touch, a real small touch, of heat.  I made a sauce out of them a few days ago.  I used 22 Creams and added 3 Fatalii x Red Savina and 16 Charipita (for a little heat).

Time for a little update as the end of our season grows near.

This is a Queen Laurie - only the second pod I've had ripen.  I picked the first a couple weeks back and ate it in the yard.  I threw the seed core in the stream intending to save seed from later pods. Well, this may be the only "later pod" I see so you can bet your bippy I saved these seeds.  They are beautiful peppers, with a rich yellow-orange color.  Thick, crunchy walls, great baccatum taste and a hefty heat punch.  The plant is six feet tall, but got a late start and although loaded with large pods I'll not have the weather yet to see them ripen.  I'd have loved the have done a sauce and pickled some of these.  Next year.

Tepin x Lemon Drop.   What a great plant.  I'll try moving this in to the house for the winter.

Pic of the pots with the raised beds behind.  It doesn't do justice to how much color there is in the beds - there are ripe peppers everywhere.

My potted Manzano.  The larger pod is about 2 1/2 " long.  I'll bring this plant inside and see I can get these ripened and save the plant for next year.  I also have one small pod on one of the dirt plants but that will never mature.

Urfa Biber in a pot.   This and the plant in the dirt have been very productive, but as fresh peppers they don't offer me enough to award them space next year.  However, I plan to pickle some of these and expect they will shine nicely in that appication.

Charipita.  Loads of richly flavored but very hot pods.  This and the C. chacoense are potted and manageable size to bring indoors (about two feet tall).

Cream Fatalii.   What a wonderful pepper.  Absolutely delicious - I enjoyed pulling off pods and eating them as I walk about the yard.  I wish they had just a slight heat - most have none or so little it's barely detectable.  I'll be bringing this in as well.  Let's see, how many have I said I'll be bringing in?   If I move the table out of the dinning room it could work (I can hear the whip cracking when Mrs. cone9 fines out about that idea!).

Brazilian Starfish.   I LOVE THIS PEPPER!    I've been eating 6 or 8 of these a day.  Definitely my favorite of any pepper I've tried.  The ones from this plant are so sweet with a nice moderate burn - I'm really going to miss this plant.  Over six feet tall and tremendously productive.  I should try to root some cuttings (how hard/successful is that???).  I have tasted starfish from several other plants (including my other two) and they've not been as good as these.

Aji Omnicolor x unknown baccatum.  This is another delicious pepper.  Heat like the Starfish, with a great flavor just not as sweet as the starfish.

TS Yellow CARDI.   This was a late addition to my grow when meinchoh sent me seed.  It's been a very useful pepper with very large tasty pods and a beautiful dark orange yellow color.

I finally had a ripe Bolce de Dolce yesterday.  The plant is another six footer and loaded wit pods but up the this point every pod has suffered rotten spots before ripening. I had not intended on growing them again but after tasting this great pepper I will have to give it another go.  Very sweet with a pleasant, mild heat - a delicious pepper!

Thanks for looking

Back