• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Confused chillies

A few months ago I put all my chillies into a soft-sided greenhouse, as the weather is starting to turn cold and I wanted to keep them going for as long as possible.

This has worked, as I'm getting more pods than imagined, as well as more pods ripening.

But...

Two orange habs I had been getting nice pods from are now ripening to a deep red (never went further than a nice orange before), and I just noticed that one pod on my choc-hab, instead of changing from green to brown, is ripening to a bright orange (only about 1/3 so far, but still...)

Anyone had similar occur?

That's weird!

How similar are the plants? Is it possible you may have mixed them up and the deep red one may actually be the choc hab?

I dunno, I really don't know enough!

I actually had a weird occurrence myself too with one of my plants. The first time it produced, it produced longish crinkly pods, but now the second time around, it's producing shorter, smoother pods. It does appear very likely to be a cross, but I wouldn't of thought an unstable cross would change midway through growing! I dunno, once again I really don't know enough so I've just put it down to either change in environment (wheather/season) or maybe due to the fact that the plant was attacked by mites in between productions.

They are certainly the plants I think they are. Choc is still producing choc pods, it is just the one pod with weird colouring. And the orange is just producing the much deeper colour since it went in the greenhouse.

All other plants are producing as previous (except the jalapeƱos I bought from the garden center are finally producing, but they are looking more like habs than jalapeƱos.)

Might be a bug in your one bright orange choc hab. I had some of my pods attacked by some cabbage moth something-a-rathers and the pod would ripen to a bright colour and then start rotting. At first nothing looked out of the ordinary but as soon as I saw the brighter colour.... :mad:

My fatali and yellow 7's changed from yellow to more orange after putting them in the greenhouse last fall. I now have the plants back in the ground so will see if they go back to the original color or stay orange. The color change you're describing sounds more extreme than what I noticed with mine.

My fatali and yellow 7's changed from yellow to more orange after putting them in the greenhouse last fall. I now have the plants back in the ground so will see if they go back to the original color or stay orange. The color change you're describing sounds more extreme than what I noticed with mine.
Most yellow C. chinenses pods can often turn an orangy color. When this happens with tomatoes I think its has to do with beta-carotene levels and which fruit have full exposure to the sun and which are shaded. Maybe its the same with peppers
Since it happens for me mostly in the fall, I've also considered that it might be due to getting more red spectrum from the sun that time of year

Back