• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

preservation Conserving Yellow Habaneros in Vinegar?

Hello Everybody, this is Mrs. Pepper Belly...

I have a quick question: Me and Mr. Belly are trying to conserve our handful (so far) of harvested white habaneros in vinegar so we can use the vinegar later on for flavouring various dishes.

Mr. Belly is very reluctant of using the method I dug up on a german pepper site :shocked: and so I would like to know from you all, please, :) how to conserve the peppers in the vinegar the american way :) ?

Thanks for any input, it's much appreciated :)

QuadShotz said:
IDK why you'd need to dehydrate 'em.

I have numerous containers of peppers just in a vinegar/salt brine and they keep about forever in the fridge.

In case of Botulism. I wasn't sure about vinegar, but i do know that infusing olive oil runs that risk, so i kinda took a guess. I wasn't exactly sure if Pepper Belly was planning on canning them or making a relish out of them, or just infusing the vinegar.

Thanks for all the replies :)

We are trying to just put them in vinegar, so we can use the vinegar to spice things like beans, greens, spinach and such.

I put the first handful in our food dehydrator overnight and they are dry now.

Does it matter which vinegar I use or can I just use my favorite (balsamico bianco)?

How long, do you all think, will they keep?

Baby Bih's Pickled in White Vinegar and Rocksalt

100_0119.jpg

They Rocked... tis how i pickle all and they Last ages. ill go take a Pic of Last Yrs Bishops crowns

Asian Birdeyes add some fish sauce to the vinegar as well,, can prob do with a few Kinds, but not Habs (well havent tried)

Back