• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

container Container Question - To Drill or Not To Drill...

Folks, I'll be placing some of my peppers in 5 Gallon Pails this year - since my garden size has been restricted (another thread, another time, way more alchohol needed...).

My question is this, do you normally drill holes at the bottom of the pails for drainage? If so, how many?

Thanks

Syd

I don't drill holes in the BOTTOM, because that let's 100% of the water drain out, especially if "channeling" starts happening.

I drill my holes about 4" from the bottom, that way excess water drains off, but there is a built in resevoir in the bottom :)

joeknowsjolokia said:
Do you add gravel to the buttom of the pail? What size?

Don't use gravel....
especially in containers that will EVER be moved. the roots grow into the gravel, then you move the container and the shifting gravel DESTROYS the fragile roots!

Fire Angel said:
I don't drill holes in the BOTTOM, because that let's 100% of the water drain out, especially if "channeling" starts happening.

I drill my holes about 4" from the bottom, that way excess water drains off, but there is a built in resevoir in the bottom :)

Wow, beauty....and brains!;)

I do that also with my styro cups for seedlings/small plants.

I have bottom holes, but also poke 'em all around about 1/2" up from the bottom in case the bottom gets clogged. I also use some Perlite in the bottom to help keep unclogged. A pencil hole is about right.

you can drill as many holes as you want and as IGG said...The size of a nickle.

If you are worried about lossing soil (which really won't happen to any major extent, then line the bottom of the pot with a large hole material mesh, (fly screen?)

Fire Angel said:

I thought the whole purpose of putting the holes on the bottom was to prevent standing water. I think having a reservoir is a good idea, but if the water isn't oxygenated it's just begging for root rot. But if it works for ya I'm not going to stop you.

And what do you mean "channeling"? Like where the water runs through the dirt without wetting all of it? Cause that shit pisses me off. Best way I've found to fix it is to add a bit of dish soap or other surfactant to the water. This reduces the surface tension of the water enough to allow it to seep right in to the hardened soil instead of wetting the top then running off the sides.

Txclosetgrower said:
I thought the whole purpose of putting the holes on the bottom was to prevent standing water. I think having a reservoir is a good idea, but if the water isn't oxygenated it's just begging for root rot. But if it works for ya I'm not going to stop you.

And what do you mean "channeling"? Like where the water runs through the dirt without wetting all of it? Cause that shit pisses me off. Best way I've found to fix it is to add a bit of dish soap or other surfactant to the water. This reduces the surface tension of the water enough to allow it to seep right in to the hardened soil instead of wetting the top then running off the sides.

The water SHOULD wick it's way up the soil... should :)

Based on my experiences last year, and AJ's report that he found roots growing from the bottom of his containers into his yard, all my containers will be buried this year. I didn't like having to water them every other day at the minimum. Burying them should help with the pots drying out in the hot August sun.

Mike

Wow. You guys go nuts with it. I put 2 3/8" holes in the bottom last year and my bucket peppers did fantastic.

Back