• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

container Container size maximum?

So for growing super hot peppers I always hear the bigger the container the bigger the plant. Does it get to a point where that no longer holds true and it just maxes out? Like what if I planted a Moruga Scorpion in the middle of a 500 gallon smart pot? Assuming I put premium compost, potting soil, ferts and soil amendments.
Would it grow into a gigantic 30 foot tree?

It depends on your proximity to the equator... if you have a never-ending grow season, the peppers will continue to grow into trees, and can therefore ultimately use a gigantic pot like that.  But for we living far enough away to experience winter I would say a 50 gallon pot would be about as much as one plant would use in a season. 

10913586_10203347700001816_166266751_n_zpsb07077ec.jpg

This was just a five gal bucket

Pot size is just one critical element to growing a monster plant. As stated above you need an extended growing season and excellent light as well as great growing media with good drainage, good supply of available and usable nutrients, a favorable pH, timely waterings and a shepherds eye. The lack of any one of these is enough to void all of your attempts. But, the container is #1. all else follows.

Back