• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Contemplation

I was contemplating a particularly tricky situation I've found myself in of late.....(Joe and Lynn would understand). After several hours in the gross anatomy lab, what sauce, when added to my dinner, do you think would best remove the stench of formalyn from my nose (which thus affects my taste)?

Look away, if the subject bothers your tummy. I used a healthy portion of Down South sauce tonight to some relief (and great flavor...thanks, Kato!)

Would it be better to plan for a pre-dinner drink to clear the nose and thus open the palette to the complexity of a good sauce? I'm thinking something along the lines of Storm King Stout; enough alcohol to make for a lively, sinus clearing aroma, and a full chocolate/coffee roasty flavor to wash away the harsh formalin residue.

Hmmm....not a bad idea....I'll have to remember to import some decent beer. My school is in a remote area, and beer choice is limited at best. Thanks for the suggestion.

Pam said:
Would it be better to plan for a pre-dinner drink to clear the nose and thus open the palette to the complexity of a good sauce? I'm thinking something along the lines of Storm King Stout; enough alcohol to make for a lively, sinus clearing aroma, and a full chocolate/coffee roasty flavor to wash away the harsh formalin residue.

That does sound good.:P

personally i love the smell of cigar smoke. :lol: actually just came in from having one. wish i had some scotch instead of the beer i had..the cigar just bulldozed the flavor of the beer, so i wound up putting the beer on hold until i was finished. :P

Alas....I smoked too much...of everything....when I was younger. No more cigars. I almost cried when I walked by a cuban cigar store in Aruba this summer.
Plus, smoking is kind of frowned on in med school. I'm in a smoke-free dorm.
I did have another idea of how to clear the old proboscis though.....wasabi!!!
Maybe a good, stout dark beer and a little wasabi and ginger on a cracker will kill the smell/taste.

Thanks for the suggestions, all

staffing said:
I did have another idea of how to clear the old proboscis though.....wasabi!!!

D'oh! Of course, wasabi goes straight for the sinuses. Guess it was a little of the ol' physician healing thyself, huh?

Do you know the first time I ever had wasabi there was a big bowl of it on the table with the hors d'oeuvres, and I thought it was guacamole?

Hilarity ensued.

Wasabi in this country is actually horseradish root that is dyed green. I personally have never had the real dealio...but would love to try. I do also like the dyed stuff. I mix that with mayo as a topping for grilled salmon and it rocks!! Cheers. TB.

texas blues said:
Wasabi in this country is actually horseradish root that is dyed green. I personally have never had the real dealio...but would love to try. I do also like the dyed stuff. I mix that with mayo as a topping for grilled salmon and it rocks!! Cheers. TB.

I don't like horse radish, and even real wasabi has that taste, so I don't care for it. I eat my sushi with ginger.

Pam said:
I don't like horse radish, and even real wasabi has that taste, so I don't care for it. I eat my sushi with ginger.

i agree..that is why i don't eat either. not afraid of, or don't like the heat, the flavor just kills it or me. :D

texas blues said:

also try chunks of salmon dipped in a mixture of wasabi dissolved in soy sauce - salmon sashimi - it is the best!!!

Pam said:
D'oh! Of course, wasabi goes straight for the sinuses. Guess it was a little of the ol' physician healing thyself, huh?

Do you know the first time I ever had wasabi there was a big bowl of it on the table with the hors d'oeuvres, and I thought it was guacamole?

Hilarity ensued.
====================================
Okay...now THAT'S funny. I love the stuff. As for the physician bit, I still have a few years to go. I DID just get my last test grades though.....not bad....2 A's and 3 B's

Funny....when I was in undergrad, I would accept nothing less than an A. Now? I'll take a B. As a non-science major who had just enough science to take the MCAT, a B is good...particularly in genetics and biochem.

I'm actually getting used to the stress level as well. This place is a pressure cooker. Last sunday night (before the written exam) I heard tell of several people openly weeping in the gross anat lab.

I guess there's something to be said for being the oldest guy in the class.

Back