• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Contest for First Ripe Pepper

I had an idea. I wondered if anyone would be interested in a race here on The Hot Pepper to grow a pepper from seed to first ripe pepper?

We'd select a variety that most of us were planning on growing anyway, select a day to start, then see who gets the first ripe pepper. We would be on the honor system, and the only prize would be bragging rights.

Contestants could document progress and techniques in their blogs, and we could have a trash talk thread in the Lounge.

We'd need to pick a variety and start date. I was sorta thinking of January 1st and Naga Morich. That would give us a month to get organized and make sure everyone interested in playing had seeds.

Should we limit the number of plants that can be entered? I'm thinking 5, people who grow more than 5 Nagas could designate 5 of their as contest plants, once again the honor system would have to cover that.

Anyone is welcome to jump in, although the season is obviously better for the Northern hemisphere. We can pick a later start date, too, if that would work better for those in more northern latitudes.

Anyone interested?

POTAWIE said:
I'm in and ready for some trash-talking. Would it be first to change colour or first to fully ripen?

I haven't grown Nagas, how do they ripen? is it a gradual color change, or is there a point where the last of the green disappears? The Bhuts ripen almost fully, with the little green point ripening last.

All my Nagas are all grown up, but I guess I could use some of the seeds I have left.

EDIT:
Does it mean we need to get the 'official' Naga Morich red color, or is orange good enough?
Because from what I understand, it takes some extra time for the Nagas to go red while sitting on the plant.

I'd enter had I the seeds =P Sounds like a fun contest though...

Also, I have a proposal. The last person to have their first pod ripen has to eat it. >.>

Sickmont said:
Isn't that the whole idea?

No it is not!

I'm not eating one of those hot and nasties, I don't care who beats me to ripeness. The prize for wining will *not* be "watching Pam eat a Naga."

Uh uh, nada, not no way, not no how.

Pam said:
No it is not!

I'm not eating one of those hot and nasties, I don't care who beats me to ripeness. The prize for wining will *not* be "watching Pam eat a Naga."

Uh uh, nada, not no way, not no how.

Whataya chicken? Oh well, i would eat it.

Sickmont said:
Whataya chicken?

marty.jpg

sounds like a fun contest..but wouldn't seasonal differences kinda mess it up? for some it is summer, for others winter? well i guess there's always "indo'" :lol:

Omri said:
Why grow peppers, if not to eat them?

To cook with them. I'm going to make some Jammin' Jolokia Jelly as soon as I get a bit of spare time.

And to keep one's Chilehead friends from demonstrating in front of the house and burning one in effigy.

Speaking of trying a Naga, if there were a video of, say, me eating an ENTIRE naga, would anyone really mind if it was of cell phone quality? =P

~Trexxen, who may just put his mouth on the line for YouTube fame =P

had some orange habs in my dinner tonight that were pretty hot. i was surprised. they were worse than the last habs i had that were bigger and red. made basically the same exact dish too.

LUCKYDOG said:
I'd be interested if this should fall into place ... also we could use pictures to determine the "Ripe" one

That's a good idea. Perhaps we could appoint non-participants as judges of ripeness. Say, maybe that would be a good use for all the Australians we have cluttering up the place!

xgrafcorex said:
sounds like a fun contest..but wouldn't seasonal differences kinda mess it up? for some it is summer, for others winter? well i guess there's always "indo'" :lol:

Well, that's why it's just for fun. A friendly competition with lots of trash talk and bragging rights the only prize.

And, well, it sort of forces all of us who give out growing advice to put our seed trays where our mouths are.

Back