• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Continental US only... How come

Just wondered why auction of fresh peppers are CONUS only. Is there a reason why no one ships to Hawaii or Alaska. Does it take longer or cost more?! Wouldn't SFRB do the trick of getting it from NYC to HI in 2-3 days?!? Just wondered.

That is a good question. The USPS website says that Priority shipping from St. Louis to Hawaii or Alaska are both 3 day trips. 3 days in a sealed box is probably pushing the limits of what is okay for fresh peppers. If the delivery is anywhere that is a bit remote then you can add at least another day to the journey. I have had to turn away orders before that were in CONUS but SO far away from any major city that USPS estimated 4 days.

If anyone on the forum is in Hawaii or Alaska I would be open to sending them some free fresh pods to see how they hold up on the journey. If they make it, maybe that would open everyone up to shipping to those places.

When I posted my ad I was thinking that Hawaii and Alaska would take an extra day in the mail which when shipping fresh pods one would not want to do. BUT, after looking at it, certain parts of Hawaii would get its package the same day from me here in East Tennessee that someone in Middle Tennessee would get it. Alaska now does take an extra day. I guess it should really always be up to the buyer since flat rate means flat rate and it is on the buyer to risk the extra day in the mail...

In many cases sellers do not realize it is the same cost to ship to HI or AK -- The only problem I see is the 2-3 day time frame is also an estimate and not guaranteed and it might take longer depending on which part of HI or AK it is sent to (if near a large postal facility it would probably get there in the 3 days but if a rural area could take a few days longer) - which could cause problems with fresh pods. If the buyer was willing to take the loss if delivery was delayed most sellers would probably agree to ship it there.

When i purchased some fresh pods it took three days to travel about 250 miles from Tampa to Ft. Lauderdale Florida.
So I'm not so sure you can trust USPS estimated time frames. Thankfully the pods were still all in great shape.

WOW! Priority shipping is 3 days?
Over here it means next day before 1300, and people moan if it gets past 1200.
BTW, If anyone would like to send me some free pods to see how they survive crossing the Atlantic, I will be more than happy to report back on their condition... :P

Alaska is continental it is in on North America ;)

However it is not contiguous, meaning, connected.

You can also ship to Guam, Puerto Rico, Virgin islands, Palau, Northern Mariana Islands, Marshall Islands,
Federated States of Micronesia, & American Samoa for the same flat rate.

I sent someone some peppers to the east coast on tuesday and they got them yesterday(thursday). Someone sent me some peppers on tuesday from minn. and I can see that they are sitting 30 minutes from my house at some sort facility and now i'm not expecting them until monday because it has happened three times before and it will take an act of God to get them by tomorrow. I don't see how anyone could receive a sfrb from the east coast to hawaii in 3 days but if they do, lucky them.

I sent someone some peppers to the east coast on tuesday and they got them yesterday(thursday). Someone sent me some peppers on tuesday from minn. and I can see that they are sitting 30 minutes from my house at some sort facility and now i'm not expecting them until monday because it has happened three times before and it will take an act of God to get them by tomorrow. I don't see how anyone could receive a sfrb from the east coast to hawaii in 3 days but if they do, lucky them.

smoke weed everyday.......

lol... just the song... quoting.. nate dogg

thanks for all the info and its generous of people like ghostpepper to offer.... im sure PINOYPRIDE wouldnt mind you guys trying.. anyone in the EASTCOAST wanna try ?? oi have his addy.. pm me.. =D

lol... just the song... quoting.. nate dogg

thanks for all the info and its generous of people like ghostpepper to offer.... im sure PINOYPRIDE wouldnt mind you guys trying.. anyone in the EASTCOAST wanna try ?? oi have his addy.. pm me.. =D

yeah sure youare quoting the song, lOL

You can also ship to Guam, Puerto Rico, Virgin islands, Palau, Northern Mariana Islands, Marshall Islands,
Federated States of Micronesia, & American Samoa for the same flat rate.

OR any place that has a US zipcode, which includes a lot of embassy's, and bases.

What I do is order sprouts in a clear box. By the time these idiots figure out where I am the plant is already in bloom. :confused:
Aji sent me some goodies a couple of weeks ago and the envelope sat in the capital(or in a truck) for 8 daze.It made it into the country in 6-7 daze.
There are some advantages to not having addresses here ;)
Doug(Dooooooooglas)
400 meters past the overlook at La Tejona de cinco esquinas de Tilaran,camino para Rio Piedras on the right, yellow columns, red gate,press bell-beware of dogs.
I'm serious. :rolleyes:

for HI, I would think some of it has to do with phyto/cites, no? I know my friend tried to bring me fresh Hawiian chilis from the big island last year and the dudes at the airport took them out of his luggage and left him a note telling him exporting produce to the mainland is bad juju.

Likewise with sending from CONUS to HI.

When i was in the orchid industry many years ago I had to go pick up babies from Taiwan from the US Ag folks. It was always a gigantic pile of paperwork.

not sure if it's relevant to this question, but were i selling fresh peppers I'd be sure to check the import/export laws of anywhere outside the CONUS before shipping there. Feds will shut your ass down if you cross 'em.

Back