• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Cooking for THP Friends

Hey ya'll! On another thread, I was prompted from another member of this forum to send out an invite for dinner. 'Thang is, there are so many cool folks on the THP, I would have to invite at minimum...about 30 or so that I regularly corresponde with on the forum...IGG, DD,CH, CP, Bent, and even PAM!! Now to the cruxt of the matter....if given enough time to get the ingredients, what do you cook for 30 people? Would have to be simple, very tasty and at least sort of "wow" your guests. It goes without saying, that peppers and hotsauce are mandatory on the menu. My menu would be...

Apps: Grilled crab stuffed bacon wrapped jalapeno's.
Roasted corn/black bean stuffed grilled habs topped with
crumbled feta.
Smoked salmon dip with toasted sundried tomato/garlic
crustini bread.

Salad: Mixed field greens tossed with roasted red bell peppers,
red onions and topped with carmelized roasted pecans and
gorgonzola with drizzled olive oil and balsamic vin.

Entree's: Grilled Atlantic salmon filet with either a 57/honey
dipping sauce or wasabi mayo.

Grilled Kabob lamb sirloin skewers with a Siriacha
and cumin bier blanc white sauce

Marinated tequila lime grilled flank steak sliced thin

Starch: Roasted garlic & thyme baked new potatos tossed in
olive oil.

Dessert: Gran Marnier Cheesecake with orange zest.
Blueberry mousse.

The Booze: BYOB...however I would have on hand bottles of
Alaskan Amber, Chimay White, Spaten Marzen and Pinkus
Pils. You wine guys...BYOB you snobs!!

There you have it...now what would you cook if you only had one shot at wowing 30 of your best friends over for dinner?

If you were a guest, what is the one sauce you would bring along for everyone to try? I would bring Bent's Pain.

Cheers ya'll, Texas Blues.

30 people? Hmmmmm...........

Yep, easy is key.

So--

Appetizer:
Chips and salsa (the salsa being Marco's Red Savina salsa)
My wife's famous artichoke dip

Main Entree:
2 - 10 lb. smoked pork shoulders (with a dried pepper and mustard rub)
My wifes dill potato salad
simple tossed salad with a variety of dressings to choose from

Dessert:
A homemade vanilla, raspberry, habanero ice cream with a cream englaze sauce

Frosty Adult Beverages:
a keg of Sam Adams Boston Lager
Margarita machine

Entertainment:
My pool table and my bad ass stereo.

Hot Sauce:
My "Nuclear Scurvy" for the pulled pork...it pairs perfectly.
The rest of my line for something hotter.
B'z Peach Habanero BBQ sauce for something different

Appetizer:
Jalapeno and Habanero poppers stuffed with meat and cheese

Main Entree:
4 Day marinated tri-tip steak freshly grilled
Portabelo Mushrooms marinated in my special secret sauce and spices

Dessert:
PIE!!!

Frosty Adult Beverages:
A Keg of Tommy Knocker's Black Powder Stout and some Honey Brown Lager

Entertainment:
ME!

Hot Sauce:
Defcon Condition Zero

Wow, thirty people huh? It's be more practical to just do a pig pickin', but there wouldn't be as much showing off.

Let's see:

Appetizers: An assortment of poppers and chile bombs, Mexican egg rolls, fresh homemade salsa and chips

Entrees: Shrimp and summer vegetables marinated in Italian herb flavored olive oil on the grill.

Pork tenderloins marinated in rosemary and garlic oil, smoked, served with a variety of hot sauces on the side.

Starches:
Roasted new red potatoes tossed with rosemary pesto
Bruschetta with basil pesto and fresh tomatoes.

Side salads of mixed fancy lettuces fresh tomatoes, sweet peppers, and a variety of other toppings to choose from

Dessert:
Chocolate Caramel Cheesecake
Brown Sugar Pie
homemade ginger ice cream

A variety of micro-brewed beers, tending towards the dark, will be on hand. If you want equine urine, bring your own. There's liquor under the cabinet, unless the Puppy Au Pair has been raiding it when I'm out of town. Liquor gets better as it ages, right? Cause, it's been there awhile.

Entertainment:
1. imaguitargod
2. imaguitargod meets Matilda, the Crotch Sniffing Wonder
dog.
3. A tour of the remaining sheds on my property

Southern Spice...

for 30 people huh...

I will supply the beer: 10 Cases of Shiner Bock beer (If you want wine or whiskey, bring your own)

Appetizer: 2 gallons of Cajun Spicy Gumbo with andoule sausage, fish (snapper and/or mahi-mahi), oysters, shrimp, crab, and blue crab claws.

Main Dish: 75 pounds of crawfish to be boiled in a mixture of Tony Chachere's spicy Creole seasoning and AlabamaJacks Pepper Powder. Also has new potatoes, corn on the cob, and onions boiled with the crawfish.. Hint…be careful, the corn will soak up the heat….

Desert: Bread Pudding Soufle with Whiskey Sauce

5 Picnic tables covered with several layers of news paper...each table with have a wash tub full of iced down Shiner...get your gumbo and have a seat....the crawfish will be "spilled" on the news paper in the middle of each table like this...

pouringcrawfish3gs6.jpg

For those of you that have never eaten boiled crawfish before, a little taste of heaven awaits and free lessons on "how to properly eat a boiled crawfish" available.

Bon Apetite..

ps...a couple of buddies of mine cook nearly 500 lbs each April/May when the prices go down...they feed about 100-150 people. All I can say is I understand there are people that get grossed out seeing someone else eat crawfish especially if they know what they are doing...my wife won't even sit across the table from me when I am eating them.....however, with all that being said, I will eat about 150-170 lbs this year myself

most of what you all wrote sounds tasty, but some of it I'd pass on.
TB - your meal sounds great, I dont know why you dont show any of the meals you make in the "last spicy meal I ate" thread.

AJ - I'll pass on the crawdaddys, I tried them once & to much work & seeing that green junk coming from the head area is nasty, so I only ate a couple tails & threw the rest in the garbage.

now what would I cook :think:
I'm not much for appetizers or desert, so those would be open for anything, most times those are reserved for alcohol :lol:

for the main entree, a couple choices.
sauteed tenderlions with fresh onions & garlic, with a HOT sambal kecap for dipping.

or get some young lamb shanks, cow leg, or a whole pig & grill/smoke it up

sweet corn that was soaking in sugar water for several hours before being grilled in the husk.

red potatoes, several colored bell peppers, onions - also grilled
& maybe some other things to eat but right now I cant think of what I'd make.

bring your own favorite hot sauce, since everyone like different ones. other than that I'd do my best to get a bunch of different fresh hot chiles to eat fresh with your meal.

booze ? bacardi/cokes, several european beers, wine for the ladys.
entertainment ? booze brings some entertainment :lol: then some good ol' country partying going on, stuff you cant do in the city limits ;)

Starters:
Communal plates of Nachos with all the trimmings. Each plate feeds 4 ppl. 4 bean & mince spiced up base with corn kernels, chopped green beans, roma toms, paprika, red onion, cracked black pepper, sweet peppers, dried peppers, etc. etc. topped with thai sweet chilli sauce then topped with grated tasty cheese (I mix chopped fresh parsley in with the grated cheese - it stops the cheese turning into a solid lump) back in the oven till the cheese melts then big dollop of sour cream & guacamole on top & a dusting of hot paprika.

Main:

Bring your preferred fresh pepper pods. I'll cook them into your preference of mild, medium or hot - red or green thai curry with seafood, lamb, chicken or (shudder) vegetarian.
I cooked 110 individual thai curries one night in my cafe - regularly 40 or 50 per night - i'm sure I could manage you mob.

Large Bowls of Caesar salad with Hab dressing (in the recipe section)down the middle of the table to pick at.

Dessert:

Hmmm: A good Oz dessert 'Pavlova'
Coated with Stillmanz jerk sauce & a layer of cored Orange Habs that were filled with 70% chocolate & frozen, then sliced thin. Layered across the top. A dollop of ice cream on the side.

Sauce: Stillmanz Inferno...it'll go well with everything I just mentioned - nachos, curry, salad & dessert.

Afters: Crackers with Tasmanian Heritage Camembert & a paper thin slice of fresh Naga Morich.

Atmosphere: We'll dine by the glow of a small jar of BB's Naga Concentrate hung from the ceiling.

Entertainment: 15 mins after I break out the 'purified water' - Who knows! Will have my 3000 something blues songs bleating randomly from the stereo...& of course IGG doing the Alien Abduction Softshoe Shuffle on the table.

:cheers:

Back