• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Cooking on the Pit Boss Copperhead pellet smoker

It was on sale so I had to buy it for $199.00. 1/2 price at Wally World so go find it if you need one. This thing comes with a 5 year warranty and I added another 2 years through Walmart for $16.  Enter your zipcode and snag one!! https://brickseek.com/walmart-invent...?sku=876324460

This thing is huge, it has 5 racks 22" wide by 14" deep, big enough to hold full size aluminum pans. There's no electric or gas heat, it actually burns the pellets.

I broke it in last night with a rack of ribs smoked 1.5 hours at 300 using hickory pellets, 1 hour wrapped and 30 minutes unwrapped, not bad for 3 hour ribs. I didn't trim the rack and the dog loved the tips!! There was only a slight smoke flavor but next time I'll follow directions and actually smoke them instead of baking them.

This this also cooks up to 450F so I'll also try a few pizzas.
100_3861.JPG

100-3858.jpg

100-3859.jpg

100_3860.JPG

I stopped by a local store and bought something for supper. I started late but it came out great.

Sausage stuffed pork chops and garlic stuffed turkey wings. 
100-4990.jpg

100-4991.jpg

I added my BBQ rub for that extra flavor
100-4992.jpg

100-4993.jpg

Smoked them for 2 hours then wrapped the turkey wings in foil with butter and put the chops in a half pan with butter and a little water to finish them off.
100-4994.jpg

75 minutes later and it's time to eat.
100-4998.jpg

100-4999.jpg

100-5000.jpg

100-5002.jpg

I also smoked some of the boudin I made yesterday and snacked on that while the meat was cooking. 
100-4995.jpg

100-4997.jpg

Bon Appétit everyone and Happy Fathers day!

While cruising the store yesterday I picked up this brisket, too cheap to pass up and this will be the first brisket on the pellet cooker. 
100_5021.JPG

100_5022.JPG

All trimmed and I cut off the thin end of the flat. I'll use it to make pastrami or something. 
100_5025.JPG

I'm testing a new rub mix, fajita, steak and bbq rub. It's on the smoker at 200 for the next few hours or until I get impatient and crank the heat to get the color I want before it goes in a pan.
100_5026.JPG

The brisket is resting in a happy place for at least 2 hours and I'm getting hungry because it smells awesome. I pulled it at 212* when it was probe tender, I think it's gonna be good with that giggle. Total cook time was right at 8 hours. I noticed part of the point was getting darker than the rest and then saw I had some of the trimmings wrapped in foil for the dog sitting on the shelf right above it. I think that's what caused it to burn a little. HMMM, something to play with next time.

OH Man, am I stuffed. 

I sliced up the brisket along with burnt ends and made sides.

100-5040.jpg

100-5043.jpg

100-5058.jpg

Sugar snap peas, broccoli and fried garlic in the wok then topped with fresh grated parm. 
100-5035.jpg

I cooked steak fries and made a scampi sauce then threw them in the wok to mix it up before adding more cheese, these things are addictive. Finished the plate with the usual pickled onions and jalapenos with a side of BBQ sauce. That rolled over piece of flat was almost as tender as the fatty part. I'm gonna sleep good tonight!! :cheers:
100-5062.jpg

100-5063.jpg

I got to use the smoker over the holiday and did 5 slabs of St Louis ribs.  I brined them overnight in salt, brown sugar, peppercorns, and bay leaves. First time I've tried brining ribs. Then I hit them with a rub from a local meat market. Into the smoker at 225 for about 5 hours while we were out on the boat.  Got back and the ribs turned out fantastic.  Definitely like the added flavor from brining. I know it looks like I cut them with a chain saw but I didn't have a good knife in the camper.

Attachments

• IMG_3401.jpg
    IMG_3401.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_3405.jpg
    IMG_3405.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_3410.jpg
    IMG_3410.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 106
I will eat your chainsaw ribs any day!

Rajun, that brisket came out nice! I still havent done a full brisket, I did a little one from Wal-Mart that came out pretty good, and I grabbed a tri-tip the other day and cooked it to 200 IT. It was really good, even though I dont think thats the recommended way to do tri-tip. There weren't any leftovers lol.

Keep crushing it on your pit bosses fellas! Makes me wish I would have tried harder to get one on sale.

Rajun Gardener said:
I burned some bones and filmed it, they were good anyway the pork came out over cooked for me. The beef was spot on and so good.
"Pellet grill; smoke ring !!"

When we go to my friend's cottage he always does bacon on the treager for breakfast.

Drip tray under the rack, strips laid right on the rack. High heat smoke mode. The cheaper the bacon the better says. It's all that extra fat vs meat I guess.

I am severely tempted to buy a pellet smoker just to do bacon. LoL

Those beef ribs looked damn tasty. Way more meat on them than what we get for back ribs. Basically have to get plate ribs to have anything worth eating up here

The smoke ring is overrated, it doesn't add to flavor. I think it's more in the seasoning than anything else but everyone loves to brag about that smoke ring. 

"High heat smoke mode" ? I don't think there's such a thing. From my experience the higher you crank the thermostat the less smoke you get. Don't get me wrong, it smokes when you crank it up but after it reaches temp the smoke is gone just like the pellets it dumped to bring the heat up.

I can't always find these beef back ribs with meat on them, most of the time they carve out all the meat between the bones and that's just goo for making broth. I think that rack cost 10 and some change which is too cheap for me to pass up when I find them.

Sure there is flavor in the smoke ring. The ring is literally how far smoke penetrated from the reaction between nitrous oxide and myoglobin. So all those different woods you buy for flavor, that.

Rajun Gardener said:
The smoke ring is overrated, it doesn't add to flavor. I think it's more in the seasoning than anything else but everyone loves to brag about that smoke ring. 

"High heat smoke mode" ? I don't think there's such a thing. From my experience the higher you crank the thermostat the less smoke you get. Don't get me wrong, it smokes when you crank it up but after it reaches temp the smoke is gone just like the pellets it dumped to bring the heat up.

I got a picture that says differently. ;)

https://imgur.com/kPydwxS

So RG, how far do you think Billeaud’s might safely ship? That stuff looks unbelievable.

My cold-pack shipping experience is limited to 40 lbs of roasted peeled Hatch Chiles from Hatch NM...It came still frozen solid.

I think I'd like to try some o' that crawfish boudin.....and some of that other shit.

Rajun Gardener said:
It will make it safe, they pack in dry ice.

Here's a few more stores that ship year round. It's the shipping that kills the deal.
https://www.beststopinscott.com/shop/

https://donsspecialtymeats.com/

http://www.billysboudin.com/

stettoman said:

Thanks Rob, and remember, life is short...I'm here for the experience, not the bank account.

You guys should do a trade, just so happens each of your States have the best of each the other one wants or needs. For Rob his state offers the best (and probably only crayfish and boudin) and Eric's state has a company that makes probably the best smoker pellets made. Not trying to hijack this thread but I did stupid amounts of research on pellets (I ordered 6,000lbs of pellets from the manufacture), if your interested let me know. BTW cook looked good, only thing I would change personally would be keep your temp a 250 all the way through, the Copperhead temp sways on the high side so might of had chamber temps closer to 400 since you set it at 350, or maybe just mine does that idk. Anyhow keep up the good work.

Back