• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Cool summer - Southwestern Ontario

Hello all.  I live in Canada, Southwestern Ontario and this year I planted the following in my garden:

Jalapeno
Anaheim
Pasilla bajio
Cowhorn
Scotch bonnet
Habanero
Ghost
Naga Viper
Trinidad Moruga Scorpion
Carolina Reaper

All were planted indoors from seed in february (ish), and all went outdoors in late may.  Aside from a minor setback from sunburn due to not diligently hardening off, and a bit of damage from a couple storms, the plants are all doing great.  Some of my plants like the Morugas are damn near 4 1/2' tall.  All have green peppers, some of the plants are loaded.  The problem is, I havent really had much ripen yet aside from a handful of cowhorns.  Im thinking that its this unseasonably cool weather we have been having this summer (at least in my area).  I know some of the super hots like it super hot out, and I feel like at this point last year I had a crapload of ripe peppers.  Im just wondering if any of you live in my area and have had similar weather and are noticing your gardens lagging behind as well.

Not in your area but yes. I had tons of ripe pods this time last year. Very slow season here. Ive had a few tomatoes a few fataliis and looks like my first "real" harvest this weekend. Pretty excited for saturday!

It's a colder than average season here too, by about 8 degrees... must be all that global warming I keep hearing about!  I'm getting a fair % ripening but not as fast as usual.  On the bright side I'm also watering less often.

Well, up here in Manitoba is no different than for you.  I have only been picking Hungarian Wax, Jim Nardellos, and California Wonder peppers frequently.  As for supers, I have only had 1 little dwarf Scorpion earlier.  But I do have a few pods on each of my supers, but growing slowly or awaiting color change.

My annuums and frutescens are ripening fine, as are my overwintered chinenses and one or two others, but the majority of my plants still have green pods (or in some cases, no pods at all). I blame the cooler temperatures, plus the heavy rain which caused a lot of yellowing late June/early July which the plants are just now recovering from.

I agree its been cool and it has rained alot. Its my first year growing peppers but im sure they would be doing better with some
more heat.

Waiting... waiting... waiting... 

Lots of peppers, but nothing will ripen! My Aji Limon plant is just bursting with full-size pods and I'm getting impatient! I've already eaten a few!

Also pretty excited for my reapers to turn... I noticed this plant is much more sensitive to heat than my others. It will NOT produce new peppers unless it is hot out.

I'm just north of Toronto... due to some stumbles out of the block this year, I'm growing super hots exclusively this year aside from a single cayenne plant.

I have tons of pods on all plants (more pods than leaves on the cayeene!) and ripening is just starting. Picked one bhut jolokia and 2 cayennes this week... ripening should start rolling along now.

Looks like everyone has been delayed this year...I guess its not just me.  Im just hoping for a long hot indian summer to make up for these cool temps.

Same here in NE Michigan. Lots of green pods but none ripening. Same with my tomatoes. My big worry right now is an early frost.

Here in CT I'm having the same issue.  I started them late to boot (March) The only plant that ripened was an over winter Butch T that gave me about a hundred small pods that ripened in July.  All my other super hots have a bunch of green pods but none ripening.  Tomatoes are the same also.

Back