• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

cotyledons falling off

A couple of my seedlings each have a single cotyledon which has fallen off. The seedlings in question do not have a fully grown set of leaves yet. Is this from damping off? Any ideas?

Mildew? I got powdery mildew one time, and it did that to all my seedlings over night!
Damping off is usually more toward the soil side of things.

Do you have any airflow? Do you have any old towels or blankets nearby? How moist is your grow area?

Mildew? I got powdery mildew one time, and it did that to all my seedlings over night!
Damping off is usually more toward the soil side of things.

Do you have any airflow? Do you have any old towels or blankets nearby? How moist is your grow area?
I have a fan on them. Did your seedlings survive?

about 50% did
If they have a means of photosynthesis, they can survive. Meaning some sort of leaves.
I hit mine with 50-50 water/H202-3% and it killed the mildew.

I had a seedling I called spike, both cotyledons fell off leaving a little spike, which was the beginning of the first true leaves. It grew to be a nice B.B. Douglah.
Talk about a lucky little seeding.

When they fall off are they soft or crunchy? Crunchy would suggest they're drying out possibly along with the seedling. Are they yellowing or darkening?

I too am experiencing this same problem. Some getting crunchy, most yellowing and some darkening to a deep purple. Done lost about 6 plants to it. All symptoms Patrick mentioned. Keeping an eye on this topic. Thinking my lighting may have been too close. Causing them to loose more moisture threw their leaves. Then overwatering. Using a new light this year. Hydrofarm 4' 8 bulb T5 Ho. Just 4 lights running right now tho. An had it about 8" above the seedlings in a grow tent.

When they fall off are they soft or crunchy? Crunchy would suggest they're drying out possibly along with the seedling. Are they yellowing or darkening?
the ones with lost leaves are yellowing. They are not crunchy.

I too am experiencing this same problem. Some getting crunchy, most yellowing and some darkening to a deep purple.
other seddlings have turned dark purple aswell, and are not really growing much. I was told that it could be because of cold weather or a "sun tan" from the lights

Yea mine ain't doing nothing either. An they were all planted the 7th of last month. Just seemed to have stalled out and just sittin there with their first set of leaves. An dying off slowly. An only had 2 out of 10 Reaper seeds geminate. An those two are looking sickly themselves.

The darkening of the leaves is probably caused by too close to the lights. I'm using a T5 HO myself for the first time this year and I started out about eight inches away and the leaves all darkened. Now I'm above 12" and the darkening is fading. As for the yellowing leaves are you over watering them? Go down an inch or so and if the medium is moist don't water.

Boost what kind of medium you using, lights, temps and such? Got a pic?

Will try and get a pic up later today. Using Promix Bx. Temps usually range 79-85. Put a fan on em when it tries to go higher than that.

Pro Mix BX to germinate seeds in? I don't know if that's the best medium to use for germinating seeds. Might be a little "hot" even though it doesn't contain any nutes.

I too am experiencing this same problem. Some getting crunchy, most yellowing and some darkening to a deep purple. Done lost about 6 plants to it. All symptoms Patrick mentioned. Keeping an eye on this topic. Thinking my lighting may have been too close. Causing them to loose more moisture threw their leaves. Then overwatering. Using a new light this year. Hydrofarm 4' 8 bulb T5 Ho. Just 4 lights running right now tho. An had it about 8" above the seedlings in a grow tent.

I would put money on it cuz I had the same thing happen. Moved my lights up some and they are starting to stand a little taller and look better. The ones that turned purple are still purple but they dont look so stressed.

I have no idea what is going wrong here. I am finding my seedlings coming up missing their heads. Soil is slightly damp, not wet. Humidity is stable, planted not too deep, temp constant 85f... Yet my seedlings are coming up decapitated... what should I do?

Coming up decapitated? No seed shell? Are the cotyledons totally gone? If there's a little bit left the seedling can survive. I've watched a few of mine survive and a few not. Is the soil packed down? For some reason the seed shell is stuck and the plant is still trying to find daylight. Usually that would remove the cap.

The rest of you guys keep an eye on the new growth. If the next set of leaves coming up look OK then you can relax a little. I had some issues and all of the new growth is looking good.

22HFPUs.jpg

I am lost as to what is going on, it happened to my atomic starfish, naga, and reaper. Peat pellets were packed fairly loose.

Back