• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Could my hots and superhots be allergic to me?!!

This is the third season I have grown hots and super hots in addition to all the other....*stuff* ..that I grow, and while I really do seem to have the system down pat with the mildly hots, once I look at my hots growing I am always disappointed. As for the super hots....well, I doubt that there's one out there that that can stand up to my 'care'!!

I grow everything the same way, yet where the medium hots have lovely green foliage, stand proud and produce decent pods, the hots (habanero etc) look tired and have bad posture and the super hots ( Bhut Jalokia, Datil, Scotch Bonnet, etc) have curling leaves, which they are also losing, and they look set to commit hara kiri...

For once and (hopefully) for all - what is the correct way to grow super hots? Full sun, water seldom, dappled sunlight, no water??

I've asked this question before and the reply is always.."same as any other pepper", but that's clearly not the case....

HELP! :banghead:

I assume you are growing by pot not hydro. I think it would be helpfull to list what you use in your potting mix, as well as what you are feeding them. Have you tried adding bone meal? What are the ph levels like?

I can tell you right away you are right about supers vs mild/medium plants. They ARE different to grow. I will tell you the differences I've noticed in the 2 and I've grown both. First n foremost I've noticed mild/medium peppers really don't care where they're planted (pot or in ground) Superhots don't grow well at all in the ground if you have poor soil. They also don't react horribly if overwatered unlike, superhots. Another thing, mild/mediums also don't react horribly to is if you fertilize the crap out of them, again, unlike superhots. Unless you live in the perfect superhot growing climate, I've noticed they act like little girls when it comes to the weather. they like it hot.. but not too hot. They like a fresh rain.. but not too much rain.. etc etc. I live in the PNW (we get every kind of weather during our grow season) I saw all the above first hand. I saw you live in South Africa, I wonder if it's weather/climate driven. At the end of the day, it's much easier to grow medium/milds. but who wants to only grow bell peppers? Ha.
Hope this helps a bit

Brandon

Good luck

I can tell you right away you are right about supers vs mild/medium plants. They ARE different to grow. I will tell you the differences I've noticed in the 2 and I've grown both. First n foremost I've noticed mild/medium peppers really don't care where they're planted (pot or in ground) Superhots don't grow well at all in the ground if you have poor soil. They also don't react horribly if overwatered unlike, superhots. Another thing, mild/mediums also don't react horribly to is if you fertilize the crap out of them, again, unlike superhots. Unless you live in the perfect superhot growing climate, I've noticed they act like little girls when it comes to the weather. they like it hot.. but not too hot. They like a fresh rain.. but not too much rain.. etc etc. I live in the PNW (we get every kind of weather during our grow season) I saw all the above first hand. I saw you live in South Africa, I wonder if it's weather/climate driven. At the end of the day, it's much easier to grow medium/milds. but who wants to only grow bell peppers? Ha.
Hope this helps a bit

Brandon

Good luck

Nice reply Brandon,

Also if I can add to it...Certain chili's grow better in hot dry climates low altitude. While others grow better mountainside at higher altitudes, full sun with temperatures no higher than 60 degrees. Some of the hottest chili's are grown on the slopes in various countries. Some of the best coffee fields are around 3000ft or more. Another example: A "Kula Onion" is nothing more than your typical "Granex" (which is grown mainland) but the Kula is grown upcountry mountainside on Maui around 6000ft.
So I guess what I getting at is, depending what medium used and where your plants are grown can effect size, shape, taste and heat level.

Greg

Well said guys, climate is a big part of it! But we also need to know what he's using in his plants and how often. In other words if you dont give a car what it needs it will not run very well or at all, if the human body doesnt get what it needs, then it wont function very well. Perhaps he's not giving it exactly what it needs or even to much? To much time in the sun or not enough, to much watering or not enough? etc.

Potting mix is 50% potting soil, 40% compost, 5% perlite, 5% river sand and I have them in 12" diameter plastic pots. Generally, they get sun from 08h00 to around 16h00, and are watered every four days or so, but we have had strong rains recently, and their soil is moist.

Ferts are chicken and seabird guano every three weeks or so, and seaweed extract which is sprayed onto the leaves every month (or so)

Everything is 100% organic.

Thanks for your attention and comments, fellas...!

just grow some peter peppers.. LOL.. I have attempted to kill a few leaving them in plastic cups root bound for months, and the damn things would not die.

Then I potted up into hydro and its the most lush and green and flowering like crazy.

Either it likes my basement weather, 66-72 average, and is thriving or I'm doing something right with that, that I cant seem to find out.

These are definitely not root bound.....the pot is the correct size for two more months at least.

BTW, I have not added bone meal, and have no idea what the ph is. Local gadgets don't give an accurate reading.

Sometimes we hover over our plants too much. I have found that too much attention from me kills my plants. I tend to "love" them to death........too much water, too much fertilizer, too much.

You might not be doing that, but that was mt problem.

Good luck on finding your problem.

Im having the same problem with a butch t plant everything else is growing fine except the butch t it seems like it is slowly dieing frome the bottom up.

Hey Paul!

Good to see you man. I hear you on the hassles of superhots. So same potting mix in all of them right? Same ferts, water regime, same everything. I would cut back on the light then. Instead of eight hours of direct sunlight go with five. See where it takes you. Good luck.

Back