• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Could my plants be planted to late ?

Hello ! :surprised:

It's my first time trying to plant peppers,
and i planted some seeds at 31/03/2013 or in america they say 03/31/2013 i believe :P
I think i should have planted in february right ?

It is now 07/05/2013 or 7th of may and this is what they look like now,

540x380_ac.jpg

but when i see the plants of other people they are 4 times as big as mine.

So i fear i missed the timing, and my plants won't be producing much peppers/pods ...
Am i worried to much or is that still a good start ?

Thanks for your time !
greetz

Hello my dear fellow Belgium neighbour,

No it's okay you're on time don't worry. :)

P.S : you should introduce yourself in the Welcome section. It's a great forum, people are nice and skilled. You will like it. ;)

imo (Im in the UK) ... it all depends on what the summer is like this year - hot / sunny and you will be fine - like the UK last year and you wont get much this year !

rf

Ok great :party:

I'll plant them in the big pots i bought and will be hardening them off tomorrow then !
I didn't know they were ready to go out allready, SUPER !!!
Thank you everyone for the advice !

I should also add: They have always been in the direct sun by the window so i hope that makes them strong from the start :P
Edit: the next 5 days has a chance at rain here, do i put them inside should it rain ? And back out when it's clear ?

Ok great :party:

I'll plant them in the big pots i bought and will be hardening them off tomorrow then !
I didn't know they were ready to go out allready, SUPER !!!
Thank you everyone for the advice !

I should also add: They have always been in the direct sun by the window so i hope that makes them strong from the start :P
Edit: the next 5 days has a chance at rain here, do i put them inside should it rain ? And back out when it's clear ?
Don't worry I put mine outside 24/7 directly and the weather is almost the same in Paris & Belgium. They will handle it.

But beware of rain, pepper don't like being too wet. So if you can do like me, put them at the edge of a window, this way they will get the sun but not the rain.

Don't worry I put mine outside 24/7 directly and the weather is almost the same in Paris & Belgium. They will handle it.

But beware of rain, pepper don't like being too wet. So if you can do like me, put them at the edge of a window, this way they will get the sun but not the rain.

Ah yes !
That's great advice, cause i was thinking to build some cheap 'roof' wich would be a total fail with my skills lol
So this saves me a lot of trouble :P

Hello ! :surprised:

It's my first time trying to plant peppers,
and i planted some seeds at 31/03/2013 or in america they say 03/31/2013 i believe :P
I think i should have planted in february right ?

It is now 07/05/2013 or 7th of may and this is what they look like now,

but when i see the plants of other people they are 4 times as big as mine.

Don't worry, your plants are a good size. Most of us start our plants way earlier than necessary.

Welcome and have fun growing your plants and learning awsome stuff in here!

What kind of peppers are you growing?
Thanks everyone !

I planted all 26 of them today in the big pots and they are now outside, and still looking strong :)
It's quite a garden lol, i can't wait untill they are huge haha.
( it also took me about 2 hours lol, but seeing the end result is verry satisfying ) :dance:

I am growing :
Hot paper lantern, aji red, caloro, habanero red, caribbean red, hot portugal, and devil's tongue red :)
All range from 5000 to 445.000 on the scoville scale.
Next year i'm going up to 1.000.000 (scorpion) and more kinds like jalapeno and some big peppers i can stuff.
greets.

EDIT: A huge rain just started, i put them under my garden tables and i'm crossing my fingers they will survive.
It's all so exciting the first time :D But with all i have read, they will survive i guess.
EDIT2: They are just fine after the 3 hour rainstorm, and i will keep putting them under the tables when it rains and overnight.
I'm happy it is going so well.

Question: It will be 8°C or 46°F the following nights, that is totally fine right ? Or should i get them inside to be sure ?

Get a cheap plastic greenhouse, mine cost me £30 and it's about 6ft by 5ft (and about 6.5 ft high). With 30ltr pots I can get around 15-20 plants in there. They make such a massive difference and you don't have to worry about moving your plants in and out all the time : )

Nice looking plants. As long as they get plenty of light and unrestricted grow space, they can get quite big quite quickly. I have some even smaller datils and white peruvian habanero seedlings I'm trying to get to catch up with the rest outdoors by growing under some high power LED spot lamps on timers which is good while they are small and i can guarantee perfect light and warmth.

Back