• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding could sweet and hot peppers cross-pollinate?

I'm currently using a poly-tunnel on my grandads allotment to grow my chili's this year and on one side i have my hot peppers and on the other he has his sweet (bell) peppers.

I was just wondering if these could cross pollinate?

If so, i might have to move my peppers into one of the other green houses and that would be a pain in the arse.

They can cross pollinate but the fruit will still be sweet on sweet peppers & hot on the hot peppers. Any crosses will only show up in the seeds, not the fruit.

Yes they can cross pollinate, but it would not make a difference in this seasons harvests. The peppers from this season would look and taste how they are supposed to. It would only make a difference if you save seeds from this season's fruits and plant them next year. If you do that then there is a small chance you could end up with a hybrid.

They could possibly cross, your peppers would grow normal. It's the seed you would have to worry about.

Since you say you have a greenhouse, you can overwinter them inside. That way you don't have o worry about the seed, and get pods earlier next season. You can clone too, it all depends on what you want or can do.

, Vegas

+1 For saving and growing seeds out to tell if it's a cross or not.

Since it's about Chinense and Annums crossing, it's said that if they cross the Annum side is more dominant so you'll be able to tell them apart when they start to grow. So if you have space sow a few thousand (:D) and thin them out as you go thru them. It would be nice tho if you get a hotter bell to stuff.... , and you might even get gramps to like those. Either can benefit IMO.

Mega: If there's enough room to sow a couple thousand that would be cool, but with limited space it's a no-no. You wouldn't end up happy when you expect certain fruit and instead you get something not desirable. At least for some people.

, Vegas

yes

i have one that was supposed to be sweet and turned out hot right from the start because it was near hot peppers and cross pollinated

it was supposed to be TEQUILA SUNRISE which is a sweet pepper, i re-dubbed it "TEQUILA HOT" it was quite tasty

thanks your Friend Joe

Back