• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

water Could this be something other than over watering?

mas_fuego said:
Again, I am going to soak these plants every other week and whatever happens happens. If they pick up bad mites on their own they will have to pick up good ones on their own.

Do keep us updated with your progress. Will be good to see the plants bouncing back and get some relevant & up to date evidence that what we are suggesting is at least one way to battle the problem :)
cheers 

nzchili said:

Says the guy whose never had broad mite.

Sulphur may kill some insects it touches but that's it. Its not going to kill an insect that lands on the plant after the fact. It may harm insects that are there to rec the full brunt of the spray but that all.   Sulphur is a far stretch systemic insecticides which are the real nasties for beneficial insects..

I would think that most people would want to get their plants on the mend quicker than what parasitic mites could muster. That takes time..they need to breed, multiply and establish themselves.

I agree it would be a good idea a couple weeks after you have sprayed to help keep them away & get some beneficials on the job to keep things in check, but I cant see it being the most effective way forward for dealing with an already established and serious infestation.

I may be wrong about the overall effectiveness of the beneficial mites vs broad mite, iv never used them. (and I don't think you have either) But I speak from direct experience in regards to the sulphur and it works.

Sulphur has been the cure for these kinds of things for...ever.

Real men use sulphur
Hipsters use beneficial mites :D

"Real men" do a lot of things that sensible people don't do. ;)

And yes, I have used beneficial mites.  I had a very bad case of spider mites last season that necessitated their use.  Good mites stick around, they are super mobile, and they will (damn) quickly take care of the problem.  They move at warp speed - you can see them.  Much faster than other mites.

Not saying that sulfur doesn't kill them, but it is a treatment that requires constant re-application, and you don't want it in your soil. (it kills all sorts of beneficial stuff)  Best advice to OP, is to cover the container so you don't get any drip or run off.

nzchili said:

Do keep us updated with your progress. Will be good to see the plants bouncing back and get some relevant & up to date evidence that what we are suggesting is at least one way to battle the problem :)
cheers 

The plants that were pretty far gone never recovered. I think if I would have caught it sooner I could have recovered more. I have never successfully grown jalapenos so the fact that it did not come back does not surprise me.

I completely stripped my ghost pepper and now it is doing great. I need to get a pic of it to post. It was the most mature plant infected so maybe that was it, or it was not really bad yet.

That's sad to hear. I had a mite problem. nuked them with sulphur and pyetherin and they bounced back really well. didn't have to prune them back too much. But I did get into them early.

LocalFart said:
That's sad to hear. I had a mite problem. nuked them with sulphur and pyetherin and they bounced back really well. didn't have to prune them back too much. But I did get into them early.
I didn't lose anything I miss. I think my Scotch Bonnet red was infected and I saved it as well as my ghost which I know was. I lost a jalapeno and a bell and a cherry pepper I didn't like.

But I gained a bunch of knowledge. This is my first real year growing. So all in all I count it a win. I lost last year's Jalapenos to the same issue and had no idea what happened.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Once you know the problem it is often easy to rectify. Glad you are winning the battle. Indoor infestations are the worst part of pepper growing

Okay Carl, looks like you are over the hump now and can start on a
systematic control plan.  If broad mites are an issue in your area, then
I would def consider getting some predatory mites for long term
mitigation.  We don't have b. mites here as far as I know, but if we did
putting out batches of friendlies would be in my grow book.

Good luck going forward!

PaulG said:
Okay Carl, looks like you are over the hump now and can start on a
systematic control plan.  If broad mites are an issue in your area, then
I would def consider getting some predatory mites for long term
mitigation.  We don't have b. mites here as far as I know, but if we did
putting out batches of friendlies would be in my grow book.

Good luck going forward!
That's good advice, but in the past, he's said that he has no aversion to spraying... Beneficial mites are costly, and if you go that route, you definitely need to be prepared to lay off the spraying.

I've got a mite problem right now, and I'm getting ready to import some new allies...

I agree - spray is necessary for nasty infestations, and I
wouldn't hesitate to use it if necessary.  Now that the
problem is known, it can be dealt with proactively in
coming seasons.

I'm going to do some research to see if we have the b. mites here.

Back