• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Couple of Seedling Transplant Questions

Hi,

I have several seedlings growing in Rockwool cubes. Some of them are about an inch tall and starting to sprout their second set of leaves. So my questions are:

1. When should a pot in cups? Can I wait a bit longer or should I do it once the second leaves start sprouting?

2. I just bought a bale of promix bx. Should I mix in anything when potting into plastic beer cups or is the promix fine as is? The guy at the store reccommended mixing in additional perilite into the promix.

Any ideas/opinions?

thanks,
JJ

JJBagoose said:
Hi,

I have several seedlings growing in Rockwool cubes. Some of them are about an inch tall and starting to sprout their second set of leaves. So my questions are:

1. When should a pot in cups? Can I wait a bit longer or should I do it once the second leaves start sprouting?

2. I just bought a bale of promix bx. Should I mix in anything when potting into plastic beer cups or is the promix fine as is? The guy at the store reccommended mixing in additional perilite into the promix.

Any ideas/opinions?

thanks,
JJ

Wait until the roots are poking out from the bottom of the cube before you transplant. I didn't and the Pro-Mix sucked all the water out of the cube. Wet soil, dry cube, dead seedling. I did add some perlite when I planted up to 5 gallon containers, but I'm not really sure it's needed. This is my 1st year with Pro-Mix and I can say I'm having much better luck just starting my seeds in that to begin with.

Additional perlite is nice but not necessary. I usually wait until the roots start poking through the rockwool, but you can pot them earlier without any problems

Thanks for the info guys.

bigt said:
This is my 1st year with Pro-Mix and I can say I'm having much better luck just starting my seeds in that to begin with.

At this point I think I am in the same boat. This year I did paper towl Germ and transplanted them to the cubes.

Next year I am starting with soil and not looking back.

Back