• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Crazy Manzanos

Chris, Those are the biggest Manzano peppers I've ever seen. They're big enough to slice up like you would a tomato. I bet the plant that grew them was huge as well.

If you have a few seeds left over I'd like some to grow next year.

Alan

Those are freaking huge! I've got some manzanos going now, but they are still babies. I would love to get a few seeds if you have any left as well. Outstanding job man.

Got this one the other day.
Weighed 54lbs , was 3 3/4 ft. X 3 ft.(My E Bay add for seeds.)

Picture006.jpg

It weighed .54 LBS. and was 3 3/4 inches X 3 inches.

Picture001-2.jpg

Picture004-1.jpg

Going back in an hour or so for more if they have any more Dino Pods.

When I read the very first line (54lbs) I though WHAT?! That must be some sort of monster plant! :P

Do you have any pics of the plant, smokemaster?

I baught them at a Mex. grocery store that almost always has Manzanos.

Here is yellow manzano I have now.Pods are getting yellow now.Most are only 2-2 1/2 inches but there are a couple bigger ones.

IM004457.jpg

IM004456.jpg

IM004455.jpg

IM004454.jpg

IM004453.jpg

IM004452.jpg

IM004451.jpg

If they weren't in pots I'm sure they would be lots bigger.
I only buy pods bigger than 3 1/2 inches.
Some plants I started from Villarts seed are in 3 1/2 gal. pots and growing bigger pods now.
They were only sprouted last Nov.-Dec.
They will be in 15 - 20 gal. pots soon with trellises.
The yellow plant is nursery stock and 3-4yrs. old.

It's amazing how those plants manage to carry the weight. I can see a few stakes in your pics, but not many ties.

The way my pubes this season are starting to spread and sprawl I can see I'm going to have a time supporting them.

I only tied the main stalk to the trellis and the 2 or 3 bigger branches.
When I tied more up the branches bent and kinked up/split with the weight of the pods.
Let your plant grow for 1 year untrimmed.The end of the 2nd year trim only the smaller branches.
You'll get a more uniformed growing bush rather than a vine type plant that way.
If you trim it too early it won't bush out as much.
They also grow mostly in the fall through spring.They don't like hot weather and won't bud or fruit in 80+ degree weather.Pods tend to cook and the buds and leaves fall off.They come back once it cools off.
They like watering a lot but not wet soaking wet soil.
They LOVE 5 parts fine orchid bark , 1-2 parts Peat and 1-2 parts perlite for soil.
With a bark based soil you HAVE to give it a weak (1/10th mix) of fish emultion almost every week.The bark eats up nitrogen.
I give mine a weak mix of Iron and zink,fish emultion,seaweed extract and calcium concentrate a couple times a week during growth , budding and fruiting.
Soil mix lasts about 5 yrs. but orchid bark is expensive.
Manzanos are $10.00 LB. here so it's worth the $$$ on 5 yr. soil with the amount of pods I get and only having to re pot every 5 or so yrs.
My tree hab. lasts 7 or so yrs. in this soil mix before I had to re pot it.
Top pots off with peat every year as it shrinks when the peat breaks down.
When I repot I just mix old soil with bark and peat-the perlite doesn't break down.Use peat and bark thats as close to matching in size as you can.It will airate the soil better-screen it if you can.It works better but isn't a must do.

Todays lone pod barely makes it into the Villarta Dino pods group.
.41 lbs. a little over 3 1/2 in. tall X 3 1/4 wide

IM004458.jpg

Only 1 pod.GRrrr.
The Gringometer is messing with me.Going to have to break into the pepper vault.....

SM, they should put your pic up in Villarta. $10.00/# gets pricey real quick when you're buyin' 5#'s at a time!

As many plants as you've got goin' too? Might be time for Peppers Anonymous :lol:

No such thing as too many peppers.

Someones got to grow these guys so the pepper impaired in this world can overcome their affliction with some of the seeds I spread around from time to time. LOL

$10.00 LB. sucks but you can't buy seeds that might grow these kind of pods from a seed vender.
In a ripe Villarta Dino(Dinosaur) pod (which is rare) I can get 100 or so seeds.
Too bad most of these pods aren't vine ripened and 3/4+ of the seeds aren't viable.
BUT all I need is 1 plant to grow true and put out 1 pod and I'm set for life.
My Manzano seed collection is 99% from 3 3/4+ inch pods.
My Peru Baseball might put out pods this year.It has lots of buds right now.
Those are perfect ,apple shaped 4 inch pods.If it puts out pods....

Thanks for the info. They're in a pine bark based mix now and seem to like it. Temps here have gone over 90 a few times already and are hovering in the upper 80s for the high now. Several of the plants are flowering and hopefully I'll get a few pods with a lot of luck before August gets here. I'm trying to shelter them from the heat by giving them shade from 2PM until sunset. The seed was planted Feb 4 and the plants framework doesn't look like it can support much weight and I haven't decided yet on the method of support I'll provide. Maybe just 4 or 5 canes with a wire perimeter wrap.

I hear ya SM. $10's understandable for the quality. Manzanos go for like $8 here, and haven't ran across much bigger than golf ball sized at my markets.

I'll bet the plants love those fines too SS. Very difficult to find out here. Was just out doing some retro-fit supports on my pubescens myself. Forgot to have one stake in there at the get go and don't wanna just jam one in now. Have mine going in coco coir and hydroton mix. Doing very well, out performing last year's crop which I had in Ocean Forest or Happy Frog mix.

Good to hear butros. Post some pics as I'd like to see how you have them supported. I only have one stake inserted and one tie thus far, but must do something soon. The only thing I have that is out growing these pubes is tomatoes.

Yeah, just got a start on it. One plant was repotted carefully and I put a stake in the new fill area. Another is just ghetto rigged, a stick of bamboo fastened off the exterior of the pot w/ rebar tie wire. Gotta finish tomorrow and have a better idea I'll post a pic of if/when it works. I use wire for my plant ties as well, but wire inside of soft latex tubing. These were all sown on Jan 1st. Seeds from CMPman (thanks again man!) Here's some quick pics- really crappy lookin, was something quick-fix style just for overnight, till I try my new thing tomorrow. Pots are pretty small, but I have had good coco production outta some smallish containers.

IMG_5543.jpg

IMG_5544.jpg

Rocoto Inca has the biggest pods of the four going so far.
IMG_5545.jpg

I just put out a couple Rocoto Incas the other day.
I'm waiting to see what those seeds from the white manzanos do.
I've got way too many Pubescens this year.Most were started Nov.-Dec.
A few in sept.
All put out lots of pods in #5 containers.
They are going into #15's or bigger soon.

I think I'll wait until after Aug. to sprout the Villarta Dino manzano seeds.
!@#@$% green pods.Got a lot of dark brown to black seeds that don't look so good.
All I need is 1 good one though.
Todays pod was pretty ripe though.

White manzanos would be a nice one to have in your bank, hopefully they turn out. Gotta get up to that store someday. Been a long time since I been up to LA.

Back