• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Creepin’ Quag

Creepin’ Quag

Manufacturer: Sizzlin Sauces LLC

Ingredients: Ketchup, habanero peppers, cranberries, carrot juice, honey, white wine, prickly pear cactus puree, plum fruit conserve, hot sauce, lime juice, water, white balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, extra virgin olive oil, black pepper, kosher salt.

Looking at the ingredients, I wouldn't have expected it. I expected to have to coax Creepin’ Quag out of the bottle with a butter knife, or at the very least by doing the best ketchup dance I'm capable of. But defying expectations, it is surprisingly thin, so pour gently. Or gingerly. Whichever you feel like. The “lacing,” for lack of a better term, is chunky and spotted with pepper bits, black pepper and who knows what else – a true testament to the number of ingredients listed! It’s a wonderful orangish-brown, and looks more like a BBQ marinade than a hot sauce.

Right up front it smells of ketchup, with a habanero and cranberry twist. Black pepper is also present – although mild. The smell is decent, but ketchup pretty much overwhelms the subtlety of the cranberries and other fruits, which is unfortunate, but it definitely makes it more approachable as a condiment – I may have reservations about smearing a burger in cranberry sauce.

Ketchup and cranberries are dominant on a spoon taste, and the pepper creeps in pretty quick with a moderate burn that goes away within a couple minutes, leaving a pleasant tingle to linger in the eaves. The salt from the ketchup hangs around a little too long, but it’s a small price to pay.

Thankfully the cranberries and other fruits really stand out when added to food. It’s got decent heat, but not overwhelming, and the fruits and berries make it a truly unique and sweet sauce. The ketchup flavor all but disappears, and the fruit and berry tones make me want to pair this sauce with everything, just because it seems like it would go. Burger? Hell yeah. Beans? Divine. Brown rice? More like brown MMmmmmmmmm! I wanna put this on sushi, smother a steak, marinade chicken wings and baste a swordfish with it! I want a roast beef sandwich, toasted, covered and dripping in Quag!

As far as the heat - it should be enough to satisfy most chileheads, although you may have to use more than you’d like, and the burn doesn’t last long – for better or worse. I’ve only had some 4 meals and this bottle is already half gone.

Creepin’ Quag has won the 2008 Fiery Food Challenge, the 2007 THP Awards and got 2nd place in both the 2008 and 2007 Scovie awards. It was favorably reviewed on the hotsauceblog.com, and I’m still surprised how unique and wonderful this sauce is. The hype and the awards are justified – it’s not just another sauce with a funny label and silly name. Its flavor is huge, and this bottle won’t last long in my house!

For someone looking for a more traditional sauce, this isn’t really going to hit the spot – and frankly I’m not sure how well it would go with Mexican fare – the spices may not blend with the cranberry and fruits (though, I must admit, I’m tempted to try it). But if you’re looking for something different with a solid kick, this is definitely a winner – and the amount of foods it does work with make it really worth trying.

Flavor: 10/10 – Exceptional: Sweet, fruity, salty and hot!

Heat: From Nada to Naga, 4/10

Attachments

• DSC01667sm.jpg
    DSC01667sm.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 228
  • DSC01671sm.jpg
    DSC01671sm.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 199
  • DSC01673sm.jpg
    DSC01673sm.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 191
I think that empty bottle says is all, lol. This is a winner, literally.

I love fish & fruit combinations. I once had a bronzed monk fish with a strawberry/mango salsa which was to die for. This sounds like it would be good on any white fish ( esp sea bass or grouper) maybe even mixed with a cream sauce. I think I'l Grab a bottle.

Sounds good, and I like the name and label.
Ketchup sure sounds strange for a first ingredient. Just curious why the ingredients in ketchup don't have to be listed?

POTAWIE said:
Sounds good, and I like the name and label.
Ketchup sure sounds strange for a first ingredient. Just curious why the ingredients in ketchup don't have to be listed?
1. On his site it says something like his first hot sauce was ketchup based, and was a hit, so why change it. Most of his sauces are ketchup based. 2. klyth just put the direct ingredients.

Thats right - they do list the ingredients for ketchup (and for a lot of the other ingredients), but I just listed the main ones. For review purposes, I thought that was adequate.

That was definately a very tasty sauce. I had it on a fresh basil, tomato and chicken broth saute over pasta and it was fantastic.

I suggest you not limit yourself Quad, if you don't want to buy it then you should try to make it yourself.... This sauce is the most outstanding thing in our fridge right now, and currently we have roughly 20 different hot sauces from privately made to mass produced.

QuadShotz said:
10 rating for a ketchup-based sauce thread??

Why is it, the known makers get better reviews?

I know Quag has had good history..I still won't ever buy it.

If I can make it, I won't buy it..simple.

IMO, Mark's SBPR is a decent sauce, but I could make as good at home
when I get my peppers going.

Seriously. I could. AND hotter..without extract. I will Never make an extract sauce..but I will make stuff to fry the best of ya before long.

That's a promise. I know food, and I'm knowing peppers.

How does a Bih/choc.hab sauce sound? With chipotle, mexican oregano and some secret Asian spices.

Nobodys done that yet.

Review Stillmaz Naga/Fatali Reserve Jerk Paste..if ya can. I'll do a tsp.

I will soon...and i'll do on vid..for all to see the effects.

A reasonable thing to do would be to taste the sauce and post your own review instead of accusing klyth of favoring a saucemaker after his two hot sauce reviews on thehotpepper.com. Sheeesh.

I bought this hot sauce at Jungle Jim's whilst at Weekend of Fire just because of their reputation. It is good to know that it sounds like I made a good choice. Very nice review Klyth.

As for the ketchup comment, I will say this that Heinz ketchup is world famous and dominates the marketplace. It tastes better than any ketchup that I have ever tried, but does it mean there can't be a better product. That goes the same for any kind of hot sauce. If you can duplicate ketchup or any great condiment why ever buy anything ever again? You do it because someone might actually make something that will open up your world to a tasty experience that you never had before.

Now go to your local grocery store or supermarket and buy some Creepin' Quag. More than likely you can't. This is a small company that needs these kind of reviews to stay in your mind when you go buy hot sauces. Otherwise they might just not make it. How many really great products are no longer made because the company couldn't sustain itself in this difficult marketplace? I applaud the review and I appreciate having an alternate place where I can go to get opinions.

Using a sauce (ketchup) to make a sauce abit of a dud imo.
Fresh ingredients only.
Plum fruit conserve ? So hes put someone elses jam in his sauce as well.
I know lets gets heaps of different sauces mix them together and sell it as my own.

I would not buy this no matter how good it tastes

Ingredients: Ketchup, habanero peppers, cranberries, carrot juice, honey, white wine, prickly pear cactus puree, plum fruit conserve, hot sauce, lime juice, water, white balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, extra virgin olive oil, black pepper, kosher salt.

Hot Sauce an ingredient ? what hot sauce

theHippySeedCo said:

Hot Sauce an ingredient ? what hot sauce

I don't believe it lists a brand, but I'll check when I get home.

I don't mind if sauces list ketchup(or catsup if you prefer) as an ingredient, but i'm really anal about avoiding High Fructose Corn Syrup at all costs, and a lot of ketchups are loaded with the sh*t. So i tend to avoid sauces like that if i don't know at the very least the brand of ketchup they're using.

Its just wrong hes put someone else's ketchup / jam / hot sauce into a bottle and call it his own. Like isn't this stealing ?

Volrathy said:
Its just wrong hes put someone else's ketchup / jam / hot sauce into a bottle and call it his own. Like isn't this stealing ?
Its certainly not garden fresh but its not stealing.

E.Z. Editorial

Originally Posted by QuadShotz
"10 rating for a ketchup-based sauce thread??
Why is it, the known makers get better reviews?"

Hmmm.... I have a thought and a comment on this.

THOUGHT: Perhaps they are best known because they know best how to make a good sauce and present it properly.

COMMENT: A little over a year ago I came out of nowhere with my E.Z. Earl sauces (Smokin'-Hot & Blazin'-Hot). Nobody had ever heard of me, yet I received two very nice reviews here at THP. I can't say for sure the reviews led to the high level of success I am enjoying currently, but I can say for sure that the current success validates the accuracy of the early reviews.
E.Z.

Back