Critique these two systems, please...MH...HPS...REVISED!!

A magnetic ballast and a electronic ballast will both do a good job. With a Magnetic ballast you can repair it for around $15 if the starter goes out with an electronic you throw away. The magnetic ballasts generates heat and the electronic does not. I use both kinds and perfer the magnetic for more heat in my grow area. I use both MH and HPS bulbs in my setups. I use the MH for seedlings and under 4 weeks. I use the HPS until they go outside.

I think you forgot to put the two systems?

Roguejim said:

It looks like either system will accept a MH bulb.  Am I correct?

They have to be MH bulbs specially made to work with an HPS ballast afaik.

Some ballasts will only except either a HPS or a MH bulb. you have to decide which one you prefer in those cases prior to purchase. There are, however some ballasts that will accept either one interchangeably. I have only one ballast at this time, it is an electronic one and can run a MH or HPS bulb. With regards to heat. I have a 100+ sq ft indoor grow and run a 1000w electronic ballast. My temps run from 70 to 80 @ 600w* and 80 to 90 @750w* on a 12/12 cycle.

* My ballast is 1000w dimmable with output setting of 600,750,1000 and high output.

I totally forgot about electronic ballasts.

HP, hows that ballast been working for you? Mind telling me where you got it?

I just remember when those e-ballasts first came out that you had to be diligent in doing product homework.

Thanks for the link.

Magnetic ballast that only runs HPS for more money than an electronic dimmable ballast that can run MH or HPS...pretty much critiques itself?

Brain Strain Pepper Head said:
A magnetic ballast and a electronic ballast will both do a good job. With a Magnetic ballast you can repair it for around $15 if the starter goes out with an electronic you throw away. The magnetic ballasts generates heat and the electronic does not. I use both kinds and perfer the magnetic for more heat in my grow area. I use both MH and HPS bulbs in my setups. I use the MH for seedlings and under 4 weeks. I use the HPS until they go outside.

As others have said magnetic ballasts last forever! We get them back in the shop all the time for a new cap or ignitor and they work just fine after a cheap fix. When we get a digital ballast back that doesn't pass a test in the workshop it goes right into the dumpster and we warranty the ballast and if its past warranty then your outta luck.

mx5inpa said:
Magnetic ballast that only runs HPS for more money than an electronic dimmable ballast that can run MH or HPS...pretty much critiques itself?

Yeah but, for $89.00 for a complete system, You are getting bottom of the barrel quality on both bulbs and ballast. 

Well, the system with the magnetic ballast also says,  "[SIZE=8pt]The High Pressure Sodium 400 watt High Pressure Sodium grow light ballast will operate any standard or horticultural 400 watt High Pressure Sodium lamp or 400 watt Metal Halide Conversion lamp."[/SIZE]  I know nothing about this "conversion lamp"...

Anyway, in another, older thread, someone was pretty critical of the iPower ballast.  "Ignite" commented, "I would stay away from the iPower line of ballasts.  They are notorious for causing very bad RF issues and often aren't shielded correctly.  A good friend purchased an iPower kit and had to return it due to the fact that it knocked out all wireless devices in his house when it was running."  I realize that is only one comment, but, maybe someone else can comment on this line of ballasts.  The electronic ballast system ends up being around $106 when you add in the MH bulb, so it's cheaper by $14. 
Hophead said:

As others have said magnetic ballasts last forever! We get them back in the shop all the time for a new cap or ignitor and they work just fine after a cheap fix. When we get a digital ballast back that doesn't pass a test in the workshop it goes right into the dumpster and we warranty the ballast and if its past warranty then your outta luck.
Thanks for this info!

Jeff H said:

Yeah but, for $89.00 for a complete system, You are getting bottom of the barrel quality on both bulbs and ballast. 
Yeah, that was one of my concerns, whether I should spend more for better quality.

Magnetic ballasts can do both lights if they are wired for it, a lot of them arent.

Your best bet is to find some you like and start researching the brands.

You are growing a few pepper plants for fun so why does it matter to spend a bunch of cash on high end ballasts and and bulbs? We get this question at the store all the time whats the best? We got bulbs from $30 to $130 you might crop 3%-5% better on the high end bulb is that worth it to you and your peppers?

Another thing to consider is changing your bulbs you really should do this every 9 months to a year and that can add up with high end bulbs. If it was me i would buy a 400 watt  MH magnetic ballast with a budget MH bulb. This way if my ballast craps out i can fix it for cheap and i can keep light intensity strong because i would change my budget bulb every 9 months.

If you wanted to use MH and HPS indoors before sending them outside then i would buy a switchable magnetic ballast with a budget MH and HPS bulb.

Best of luck we wanna see pictures of this grow!

I've read a lot of stories about IPower, Apollo, and i forget one other lower brand of digital ballast that causes interference with Cable TV systems (theirs and their neighborhood) and with wireless devices. The cable tv company triangulates the spurious signals and finds out who you are, if you're lucky you get a warning, or they just outright disconnect you. If you're going to go with a digital ballast then maybe shoot for a better one, like a Lumatek or similar. I do see the allure of digital though since they are slightly more efficient and dimmable.

If i were forced to go HID i'd go with a tried and true HTGsupply magnetic ballast. It's good with HPS and MH conversion which you can select as a spare bulb, and no RFI issues.
Edit: funny thing i noticed with their package options, you can get the whole package cheaper if you select the GrowBright 400 watt MH Conversion Bulb ($8.00) as your main bulb, and select the HTG Supply 400w HPS Bulb ($15.95) as your spare bulb ... comes out $5 cheaper that way.

But recently i decided to save cash and went with a quad, 4ft T5 setup (in addition to my quad T8's + CFL bulbs), since I only need them till May plant-out.

Hophead said:
You are growing a few pepper plants for fun so why does it matter to spend a bunch of cash on high end ballasts and and bulbs? We get this question at the store all the time whats the best? We got bulbs from $30 to $130 you might crop 3%-5% better on the high end bulb is that worth it to you and your peppers?

Another thing to consider is changing your bulbs you really should do this every 9 months to a year and that can add up with high end bulbs. If it was me i would buy a 400 watt  MH magnetic ballast with a budget MH bulb. This way if my ballast craps out i can fix it for cheap and i can keep light intensity strong because i would change my budget bulb every 9 months.

If you wanted to use MH and HPS indoors before sending them outside then i would buy a switchable magnetic ballast with a budget MH and HPS bulb.

Best of luck we wanna see pictures of this grow!

Do you think it's over kill to be running a 400 watt MH/HPS for seedlings that will be going outdoors in 4 months?

Back