• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding cross pollinating black spoon method

KrakenPeppers said:

To add.... Look into the flower and you will see flowers that have pollen covered anthers... Some flowers will develop pollen as the flower opens.. others will give you pollen almost as the flower looks like its dying.. Depends on the variety..

If you don't care about sacrificing a flower (like me) look for a pollen covered flower, gently cut it off, tip it onto the tip of the spoon and give it a tap or three... If you chose a ripe / dry flower you will get a good dusting of pollen from your hard work..
Thanks for the tip.Definitely going to try this out.

mpicante said:
Chad quick question on this BLACK SPOON method. When and how do you get the pollen onto the spoon?had a vacation day today and ran around the garden with a black spoon and no pollen.Good thing my neighbors weren't around !
That had me laughing! I am ways wondering about my neighbors watching me and my plants. Every morning, I'm out there by 6:00-6:30, moving plants around, rotating, elevating, poking & prodding the soild,tapping & gently squeezing pods, shaking my pepper "trunks" trying to spread the love.. Er, I mean pollen.
I know they look out their windows, sipping their morning java just shaking their heads.

Edit to add: I'm not even mentioning my numerous photo albums! Lol.

At least I'm not the local cat lady, eh?!

Brutaldiver said:
That had me laughing! I am ways wondering about my neighbors watching me and my plants. Every morning, I'm out there by 6:00-6:30, moving plants around, rotating, elevating, poking & prodding the soild,tapping & gently squeezing pods, shaking my pepper "trunks" trying to spread the love.. Er, I mean pollen.
I know they look out their windows, sipping their morning java just shaking their heads.

Edit to add: I'm not even mentioning my numerous photo albums! Lol.

At least I'm not the local cat lady, eh?!
yeah and you guys have to remember I'm in the city so I have neighbors surrounding me!!!

Me too, the assholes behind me just sit out there as a family stairing as I work in my garden. Old lady doesn't even pretend like she's looking just full on gawks. Ever her room upstairs has curtains propped open and if i'm out back she just plasters her face to the window. Really uncomfortable

D3monic said:
Me too, the assholes behind me just sit out there as a family stairing as I work in my garden. Old lady doesn't even pretend like she's looking just full on gawks. Ever her room upstairs has curtains propped open and if i'm out back she just plasters her face to the window. Really uncomfortable

Start doing your gardening in one of these......

th.jpg

Bet you that will solve your problem.

Back