• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Cross pollination science vs reality

So I found this graphic laying out the cross pollination realities of growing chiles of different species (is that the right word?) close to one another.

This is where I could NOT sucessfully insert a nice graphic showing the cross pollination possibilities between chiles.

What I need to know is it practical information that should be heeded, or can you grow a baccatum right next to a frutescens and not really have to worry about cross pollination and resultant F1 hybrid seeds being produced?

Science doesn't verse reality. They can cross and give you hybrids. They are different species but genetically close to each other.

Buy some thule and wrap the buds or plants if you prefer that you want to preserve seeds from. This will prevent bugs from cross-pollinating your varieties.

Search on this forum for "isolation" or "prevent cross pollination".

I'm sure its possible that ANY variety of chili can be crossed with another variety. Granted I'm sure some varieties would be more susceptible than others. Its easy though, if growers dont want their plants crossed, either keep them a good distance away from each other or throw a net over them.

Thanks for getting the graphic up here, JoynersHP. I copied it to a word document and couldn't get it on here in a readable format, even though it pasted/inserted into my post and replies fine. Any way, I've read some things on this sight now about cross pollination per TomStews suggestion.

Just for an aside, I'm growing for seed some little Siling Labuyos I received from the Phillipines in '95. I dried the little pods out back then and have kept them cool and dark ever since. In 2011, someone I knew got 50% germination by just tossing them in with a potted tomato plant and forgetting about them, so the seeds are still good. I sprouted some of the then 17 year old seeds outdoors last year. In July, after thinking nothing was going to happen and forgetting about them, I noticed 7 little plants. As frost began to be a danger at the end of the season I brought them inside with no flowers and the biggest only 5" tall, where after transplanting, fungus flies got the smallest 4 plants. Bastards! I have 3 left and they are doing well in pots.I'm trying to keep just this one type of chile pure so I will be isolating. I think I will keep the 3 plants I have growing indoors.

Recently, some of the seeds from my dried pods ended up with a grower who intended to grow them without isolation. We argued a little about it. Thus my interest in this subject. Thanks for all the replies.

Who knows what "pure" means anymore. Watch a show on Netflix called "Genetic Chili". They explain on their that cross pollination can happen even hundreds of miles away. Now what are the odds your 3 plants sitting outside can be cross pollinated??? If nothing else is around it then a very low chance, but there is ALWAYS a possibility. It's a science that has been studied for many many years now. With GMO's on the rise it's tough to call anything "pure" now days.

You're asking me? Hell if I know what the odds are. I'll keep them indoors where the chance of cross pollination is very, very small. I'll try to find Genetic Chili, but I don't have NetFlix.

Who knows what "pure" means anymore. Watch a show on Netflix called "Genetic Chili". They explain on their that cross pollination can happen even hundreds of miles away. Now what are the odds your 3 plants sitting outside can be cross pollinated??? If nothing else is around it then a very low chance, but there is ALWAYS a possibility. It's a science that has been studied for many many years now. With GMO's on the rise it's tough to call anything "pure" now days.

+1 for Netflix and the genetic chile

As a scientist trained in genetic engineering in the laboratory, I find it utterly insane that the government here in the USA does not require labelling of foods that contain GMO products. I`m English and the European Union has required this for over a decade. I have not seen The Genetic Chili, just the 5 minute trailer, so I`ll see it and decide what I think about it. What the 2 or 3 main multi-national GMO seed merchants are allowed to get away with is a national disgrace, IMHO. Tell me again how the $$$-driven lobby of Congress is legal???

As for cross contamination of pollen in flowering plants - it`s hard to avoid with closely related species, like most chilis (except C.pubescens). The closer the flowers are, the more the likelihood. But even then, pollen can be taken hundreds of miles in the right conditions. Wrapping buds/flowers can help enormously, but it is not infallible.

As a scientist trained in genetic engineering in the laboratory, I find it utterly insane that the government here in the USA does not require labelling of foods that contain GMO products. I`m English and the European Union has required this for over a decade. I have not seen The Genetic Chili, just the 5 minute trailer, so I`ll see it and decide what I think about it. What the 2 or 3 main multi-national GMO seed merchants are allowed to get away with is a national disgrace, IMHO. Tell me again how the $$$-driven lobby of Congress is legal???

As for cross contamination of pollen in flowering plants - it`s hard to avoid with closely related species, like most chilis (except C.pubescens). The closer the flowers are, the more the likelihood. But even then, pollen can be taken hundreds of miles in the right conditions. Wrapping buds/flowers can help enormously, but it is not infallible.

totally agree with you. Many countries have banned GMO products while we fund it.... it's crazy. Genetic chili points out the correlation of FDA and Monsanto... it's wild.

oh and fyi Genetic Chili isn't that great of a film. Just a very interesting flick.

As a chilehead, I find this documentary fascinating. As a voice over artist, it is incredibly hard to watch. It drives me crazy that they chose this guy to do it. He must be the director.

Back