• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Cross Pollination?

I'm currently growing Thai, Bird's eye (?) and Jalepenos in pots all in the same area of my property. My space is very limited. Do I need worry? Silly question?

Not a silly question...if you plan on saving seeds from any of them yes you have to worry. What most folks don't know is that fruit set on true plants will be true to what was planted regardless of what's planted near them...the potential cross would be in follow on generations. The seeds are are where the new genetics would be...so no change in the parent plants or fruits, just their offspring.

oh boy...I am saving seeds from the Bird's eye and Thai chilies. Wonder what I'll end up with? Would my Jalapenos be spicier next gen or my spicy chilies be less?

Just like children...there's no telling what you'd get. Shape from mama, heat from papa or a little from both. Growth habit of the plant would also be different. Just remember that it is very likely that they won't cross...but there is the potential. Peppers can self polinate...so it is much more likely that the flowers will get pollen from themselves or the neighboring flowers on the same plant than it is for them to get if from a neighbor, but it happens.

Listen to Shane, he knows what he`s talking about.

They might cross, they might not. You won`t know until you grow out the seeds and even if the F1 look like they are supposed to, differences can show up in F2 or even F3. It`s called genetic drift.

NorwegianChili said:
additional question; lets say the plants were cross-pollinated and you clone the plant. Will the clone also grow true ?

The clone will grow true to the plant you cloned it from.  This is the benefit of, say, having a crazy f1 or f2 plant that you really like, make clones to stay true to that plant.

Back