• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Curled leaves, mostly on new growth - what is it?

only other thing that has been said to look similar is calcium deficiency, but im not quite convinced on that being your issue. try it out and document your results

spidermites usually cause the plants to wilt when in direct sunlight...even if they have water, so i don't think that's the problem.

if the epsom salts didn't fix it; i'd try flushing the soil.

StupidJerk said:
Get a magnifying glass/jewelers loupe. Look for thrips, they are much smaller than aphids.

Thrips are little evil things. I've had all kinds of problems with them in the past & never had much luck controlling them until this year when I found Spinosad. The little bastards like to hide in flowers & the tiny little new leaves that are just barely opening. The damage they cause is usually visible on these new leaves, particularly along the edges & as the leaves grow they are deformed by the damage.

Thrip on one of my C. baccatum flowers:
RODNrTf.jpg

I used that spider mite control solution and also the weather got nice and warm again. New growth seems to be fine... I will reaply the spider mite treatment in 7-10 days to be sure.

Also noticed that on some smaller plants the edges of the very young leaves were black and looked dead. This is where they were in contact with each other (the leaves when they were very small - growth cluster so to speak).

Thanks!

This is an old topic, and I hate to rehash - but I had a similar problem recently. It was just like you describe with the sudden change in weather from cold to hot. There were absolutely no pests. I am doing an organic grow on a screened porch, and have not put any fertilizer down yet. My stems are growing in height and girth, but the new leaves are coming in funny and gnarled, and old growth is curled down, but not soft and wilty.

I am convinced that it is the change in temperature. Maybe some overwatering, but I'm not getting any damping off. Everything looks wicked healthy, except for the leaves.

My Moruga plants seem to be doing quite a bit of the leaf up-curling that as of late, primarily on new growth. I've been watering them daily, giving them 2 gallons of water daily, and I haven't given them any nutes since I installed my drip irrigation system (last application of nutes was about 10 days ago. There has been a general increase in temperatures over the last two weeks (except for today when it dipped about 10 degrees since yesterday for a high), so that may be it. Also when I touched the leaves, they felt somewhat dry, slightly leathery and chalky to the touch, if that helps.

I also noticed that the existing peppers I have on one plant (the first one with actual peppers on it) seemed a little smaller than they should be. Don't know if that's related.

Back