• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Curling leaves on Cayenne Plants - Help Please!

As you can see in the picture below, the 2 cayenne plants have an issue with the leaves. However the other 2 (Jalapeno and Orange Hab) are showing none of these same symptoms. They are being grown via aeroponics. Any advice would be much appreciated!
533788_10150698257778648_527063647_8974467_906965773_a.jpg

So they dont like the light as much as the other 2 therefore they are doing it? Could it fix itself over time as they require more light and get bigger?

When I have this issue, I lowered the plants with curling leaves and they stopped curing. Does your setup permit this, without taking the light too far away form your other plants? Can you angle the lights somehow?

The t8 verticle fixtures are mounted, the cfl fixture I built can be raised/lowered. I have tried raising the cfl fixture with no t8's turned on and I didn't notice much difference, the cfl's were approx. 1.5 feet from the plants when I was doing this.

To raise the pots so they are higher and closer to the lights. First raise the lights so the Cayennes are further away. Keep the Problem Cayenne plants on the main surface and put some (3 - 5 or as many as necessary) DVD jewel cases under the other pots so they are as close as they were before you raised the lights.

Do they look differently in the morning ? When plants are resting from having enough sun, they usually recover until the next day, at least in my case.

Since you grow them in aero, what pH and EC do you use ? Do they get enough moisture frequently, to make sure roots are not stressed?

Yes they usually look better in the morning, but once again it's only the two cayenne plants showing symptoms. They constantly get water via sprayers and all of the plants have roots down to the water level as well (single reservoir with submersible pump). Ph is around 6.2 and ec is 900-1000. The weird thing is if its a lighting issue I would have to conclude they cayenne can be grown in lower light than most hot peppers. Could a possible solution be to cut the light back to 6hrs a day or a few days and guage the reaction? I probably won't be growing the cayennes inside again so it's not bothering me too much considering the hab/jalap are growing awesome!

It could be the mix of nutes you're givin' them. It may be too much for them..where as the habs and what not, like it.

I'd start with flushing the current nutrient mix, making a brand new one with 600ppm and monitoring the plants for a few days. From the leaf position and color, I think this is rather roots stress that maybe reinforced by heat from the light that increases leaf transpiration and losing water from the tissues quickly

The temp in the bin is around 75f which to my understanding should be perfect, I'm going to flush and mix up some 550ppm vegetative growth solution and monitor them for a week, if that's not it I may try some calcium nitrate. As long as the other 2 plants stay intact and healthy I'm not going to try anything else after that because I will not be growing cayenne with this setup again. I talked to a guy that runs a greenhouse and he figure most likely calcium possibly zinc, I'll let you know how it goes!

Back