• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Curling leaves on seedlings

So I have some seedlings that I started 1 month ago. Here is a picture of them, and as you can see recently I have had some leaves curling up and some falling off.

Can someone give me an idea of what it might be?

PA110075.jpg

PA110076.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Well the lights can cause more heat too, so how far is the light from the plants? I had that to happen to some of my plants before and it was because the light was to close and it made them start to burn a bit

they have their second leaves and nothing feeding them? they aren't getting any nutrients from the rockwool.
leaves that curl upward or crinkle tend to point toward a need for magnesium.

Seedlings have enough nutrients in their seed leaves to last them a while. I don't feed until the third set of leaves form. The leaves will just look yellow up to this point.
7pod01.jpg

I think the curling is light related.

Yeah I never feed my seeds anything until I pot up after they are about 6 weeks old. You can try a very light dose of ferts, but I would back off the light a little first.

when its curled up... is it dry ? if its dry.. it might be the heat from the lamps
if its not dry.. then maybe.. too much water ??? when the plant get too much water it curls up like a cup. hoping that more of its bottom of the leaves are expose to the light/heat to evaporate the excess water..

I would back off the light a little first.

+1 on that. At a minimum, turn them off before you go to bed, then back on when you get up. I generally try to mimic daylight hours since that's what they're going to get when they go outside, but longer in the dead of winter.

Not sure if your going to "see" any change in a few days. This seems to be the hardest part of growing peppers. I and others often worry about a pepper plants not looking perfect so we try and make it perfect by adding ferts, less light, more light, less water, more water, etc etc before the plant has time to adjust. I mean this is a growing plant and if you had too much light on it a few days later it's not going to double in size or magically look perfect again. You have to be patient and give it time to grow. I personally don't give any of my plants ferts until they are potted up and at least 6-8 weeks old. You may end up killing the plant altogether because of a slight leaf curl trying to do to much. Just hold back and let it grow.

Last year I used to baby my plants watering every week, giving them ferts every other week and they looked crappy and always had problems. It wasn't until I got to busy to baby them is when they really took off. I didn't have time to water them so they got a little wilted, but as a result grow longer, deeper, roots, I didn't have time to give them ferts, but I didn't realize they already had more then enough from the previous feedings. Basically peppers thrive with little or not effort so just let them grow and if you make a change or adjustment give it a few weeks before you do anything else.

Back