• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Cut back the bhut?

Hi everyone,

I'm debating whether or not I should cut back my bhut plant that I have in the ground. The overnight low temp where I live is about 40 degrees during the winter so I don't think I'm in danger of losing it, but it's not producing any pods at the moment so I'm thinking I might as well cut it back. What do you guys think? Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I'm debating whether or not I should cut back my bhut plant that I have in the ground. The overnight low temp where I live is about 40 degrees during the winter so I don't think I'm in danger of losing it, but it's not producing any pods at the moment so I'm thinking I might as well cut it back. What do you guys think? Thanks!

Hey irishmaverick......., :welcome:

Although the plant is a perennial, even though you could probably cutback complete, and mulch heavily will straw or other material to keep the roots warmer. You're still at bay fighting other elimates....pests included. I'd recommend, if you have the room and a light to take some cuttings from the plant. Start some indoor clones. By the time your weather goes full circle you'll have some healthy plants to stick in the ground. You can also cut-back the plant and overwinter indoors......check out the top of this grow forum page.....the Pepper-Guru sheds some good light on that subject . The last suggestion goes back to your original question....I'm not sure of your day vs. night temps. and how long your actual winter lasts, but if that your last resort (outside of starting new seedlings) then give it a shot. If doing so you can cut back , mulch around the plant and cover it up at night with an insulated utility container....

Hope that info helps you out.

Greg

I agree with Greg but you can also wait and cut it back once your temps start to rise. By leaving it be I think it will help the interior of the plant stay warmer. I live in Florida and i let my overwinters cut themselves back. Old growth dies and new growth takes it's spot. But if your plant looks ill or insect ridden cutting it back is an excellent option.

I only cut back when the pests(Weevils ETC.) are stressing my in ground plants to much, I don't use poison. We see 6-10 days under 32 degrees and many below 40 here, I just wrap my outdoor plants when needed.

Back