• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

overwintering Cutting to Overwinter?

Additionaal overwintering question...

POTAWIE said:
Whenever you cut the top back on any plant, you should cut the roots to keep things proportional. The same as if you cut the roots, you should cut just as much mass from the top. I've overwintered without cutting back roots with some success but the roots really have no room to grow and the size of the pot is always too big and you'll have to pot up to an even bigger pot in the spring.
I downgraded from a 5 gallon to probably a 3 gallon pot and during the winter very little water is required, and no fertilizer until spring.

There is no way I could wait till February to cut back with my climate. I cut back in October, and the plan this year is to give them very little light starting immediately after cutting back. Too much light in the fall(or winter) will start leggy new growth and you'll have to cut the tops back again.
Oh and Chiliac, your link doesn't work

Question - So very little water and very little light...are you keeping them indoors? Greenhouse? what temp approximately? Thanks!

I keep mine indoors until spring, and try to find a cool(probably 8-12C) spot with little light. This year I'm planning to load up my crawl-space with plants and have a light on a timer for just a few hours a day

Canuk Peppehead, perhaps this will clear things up a bit as to what a bubbler unit is. I made this myself (third try for something I think is workable).

This is the best attempt so far with a 5 gallon aquarium I had leftover and a styrofoam template I made which holds 21 cuttings. Where the cutting sit relative to the water level is very important I've learned to eliminate stem rot.

There are other variables as well. :)

Chris

P1060907.jpg

P1060908.jpg

P1060909.jpg

A 7 pod cutting I took that is three weeks old after starting it's first roots in the bubbler. They grow fast. It already is outgrowing a 2.5" x 2.5" x 3.5" square plastic pot. Amazing as it had three or four 1/2" roots when transferred to soil.

Chris

P1060903.jpg

P1060904.jpg

Back