• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Czechoslovakian Black & Grove

Wife wanted to pick up a couple more tomato plants from a nursery this weekend and again.....grabbed a few peppers just to have something with a head start while my seedlings grow,got about 100 started out, I grabbed a Jimmy Nardello,another Caribbean Red and then the ones in question... Grove pepper and Czechoslovakian Black. They were definitely impulse buys and after researching probably wished I'd grabbed something else but who has any experience with either of the two?

the czech black is not a bad pepper they are quite mild but do have a good flavor, they are very good slice and sauted in butter they can be used the same as Jalapenos and in some ways have a better flavor that some Jals

the grove pepper is an average annum species, not to much to the imagination however they are very prolific and they would be good to make a sauce with

all in all your not doing too bad even though in some cases you could do better you dont have the worst

thanks your friend Joe

the czech black is not a bad pepper they are quite mild but do have a good flavor, they are very good slice and sauted in butter they can be used the same as Jalapenos and in some ways have a better flavor that some Jals

the grove pepper is an average annum species, not to much to the imagination however they are very prolific and they would be good to make a sauce with

all in all your not doing too bad even though in some cases you could do better you dont have the worst

thanks your friend Joe
The czech just sounded different,like kind of a pretty plant, but with a lack of heat I lost a little interest, the grove sounds like a tabasco which I have three still going from last year.May just return them and grab something else...

The czech just sounded different,like kind of a pretty plant, but with a lack of heat I lost a little interest, the grove sounds like a tabasco which I have three still going from last year.May just return them and grab something else...

the grove is a bit like a tabasco but maybe not as hot

yeah return them if they are not what you want neither is flavorful enough to consider keeping unless thats what you like

i still love aji and habaneros personally

thanks your friend joe

I get lots of variation in heat from pod to pod on my Czech black plants. Jalapenos are the same. Some are surprisingly spicy, others have little heat. There seems to be a max heat time for Czech blacks too, just before they fully ripen and turn red. One of the best tasting annuums IMO.

i still love aji and habaneros personally
Habaneros are my favorite right now
I got 4 orange habs, 3 Tabasco and 1 Datil all flowering hard that I have from last year due to our mild winter
about 30 Fatalii, 30 Cayenne,15 Chocolate Hab, 15 Congo Trinidad and 15 Caribbean red seedlings, I'm exited to see what they all taste like (excluding the choc habs. I ate them all year last year and saved the seeds, bought the others)
In addition to those I bought 2 more Datil, 2 Caribbean red, 1 Jimmy Nardello to tide me over til the seedlings are ready

Back