• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

D3monic's Crossing Project/Community Grow

Click for Currently Crossed ListWill keep it updated as new crosses are added.

Butch T Yellow and Bahamian Goat won the poll!
  1. Aji Omni Color (4 votes [8.16%]
  2. bullet_star_rated.png
     Bahamian Goat (14 votes [28.57%]
  3. bullet_star_rated.png
     Butch T Yellow (9 votes [18.37%]
  4. Aji Crystal (3 votes [6.12%] 
  5. Caribbean Red Habanero (3 votes [6.12%]
  6. Paper Lantern Habanero (7 votes [14.29%] 
  7. Bolsa De Dulce (3 votes [6.12%]
  8. White Bhut (6 votes [12.24%] 

Alrighty folks! It's almost plant out time and that means that my basement and lights are going to be freed up for some crossing projects through the summer. 

I have 4 DWC buckets available for growing peppers indoors all summer. (not to mention racks for seedling growout)
2 spots are already taken by White Fatalii and CGN-21500.

These Plants will be the Base for all my other crosses. Meaning that I will use pollen from plants that are outdoors in the rest of my collection crossed with these. These will be tagged and harvested and grown out in the basement to choose phenos. I'm planning on going for taste more than heat. 

Plants to choose from  

My biggest focus will be crossing the White Fatalii with CGN-21500 but will do plenty of other crosses with them as well. 

Here is my entire grow list and potential candidates to be crossed with my final choices (hope that makes sense)

Bhut Orange Copenhagen
Jays Peach Scorpion
Fatalii
Bonda ma Jaques
Butch T Yellow
Sweet Datil
Bulsa de dulce
Aji Omni-color
Aji Limon
Fidalga Roxa
White Bullet Hab
Paper Lantern Hab.
Jamaican Hot Chocolate hab.
White Fatalii
White Bhut jolokia
Urfa Biber
Inca Berry
Caribbean Red Hab
Aji Pineapple
BG7
Orange Wild Brazil
Goatsweed
Chocolate Habanero
Mystery Hababhut?
Scotch Bonnets
Taquila Sunrise "Hot"
Fooled you jalapeno
Yellow Primo
White Devils tongue
7pot Yellow brainstrain
Trinidad Giant yellow congo
Bahamian goat
Aji Crystal
Cumari do Para
Carolina Reaper
7pot Yellow
Yaki brown
Xalapa Jalapeno
Pink Tiger 
Criola Sella
7pot White 
Tepin X Lemon drop (iso) F2 
Aji Amarillo 
MOA Scotch Bonnet 
Champion (baccatum)
Large Orange Thai (growdown throwdown)
Yellow bhut
Australian Lantern Habanero
CGN-21500
Carbonero

Once the poll is complete Thursday night- the two winning plants will be moved to the hydro system and this thread will serve as my grow log for this project. 

Y'all are more than welcome to offer suggestions as to what you would like to see crossed with what as well. I'm sure I will be sharing seeds with most of you at some point (prolly F2? maybe some F1's)

Hey hey I've updated the testing thread: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/67625-d3monics-crosses-f3-and-f4-testing

Have tested 2 El Scorpenero Red #2 phenos (Plant 1 and 8).

#8 is seriously amazing, the flavour, the heat, etc. I'm drying the seeds now and will send you all 3 sets of seeds next weekend when they're dry, so you can get them a week earlier before I do next week's review.

El Scorpenero Red #2 F3 Plant 8:
2018-03-17_16.49.01.jpg

El Scorpenero Red #2 F3 Plant 1:
2018-03-17_16.59.51.jpg

Have just taken stock of all the plants which have pods ripe as of this weekend, so next weekend on the 24th of March we'll be testing and reviewing them all.

Still have about 15 more plants which are still green, but will send the 1st 3 varieties I've tested next weekend, then these ones the week after, and the rest once they ripen.

2018-03-18_09.50.27.jpg

SentencedToBurn said:
Have just taken stock of all the plants which have pods ripe as of this weekend, so next weekend on the 24th of March we'll be testing and reviewing them all.

Still have about 15 more plants which are still green, but will send the 1st 3 varieties I've tested next weekend, then these ones the week after, and the rest once they ripen.

2018-03-18_09.50.27.jpg

Looking great, some nice color variation going on. Let me guess, top middle far right. That's a giant pheno?

Ok just sent the First test (El Scorpenero Orange plant1) and El Scorpenero Red #2 Plant 8.

I had heaps of seeds from Plant 8, so halved them, just in case. This way you can get them started asap. And I'll send the 2nd half with the next batch next weekend.

Then tomorrow we're testing 14 more (man I'm gonna be sore) plants, so next weekend the seeds should be dry enough and I'll have them out to you then. I'll split the seeds into 2 envelopes, to keep it small, and also just in case something happens. This way there are 2 separate envelopes coming back to you.

So next weekend will be exactly 6 months to a day after you sent out your seeds last year. How awesome is that, we're still managing to get 2 seasons in 1 year!

SentencedToBurn said:
Ok just sent the First test (El Scorpenero Orange plant1) and El Scorpenero Red #2 Plant 8.

I had heaps of seeds from Plant 8, so halved them, just in case. This way you can get them started asap. And I'll send the 2nd half with the next batch next weekend.

Then tomorrow we're testing 14 more (man I'm gonna be sore) plants, so next weekend the seeds should be dry enough and I'll have them out to you then. I'll split the seeds into 2 envelopes, to keep it small, and also just in case something happens. This way there are 2 separate envelopes coming back to you.

So next weekend will be exactly 6 months to a day after you sent out your seeds last year. How awesome is that, we're still managing to get 2 seasons in 1 year!

Awesome man, I look forward to seeing your notes and getting them started. Going to be a good year I bet. Lots of neat stuff going. Can't wait to see what I can select to send out to you this summer. 

Hey hey

Just finished writing up and editing the review of today's 14 hybrids. All the pics and reviews are in your crosses glog: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/67625-d3monics-crosses-f3-and-f4-testing/

Here is the video, I edited out all the fluffing around, just went mainly to the video of the pod and our thoughts on them.

We gave it a few minutes between each one, and had some drinks etc in between so hopefully the review will be as good as we could do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1dmtj_2rs0

Have just taken stock of what's ripe now - 9 more plants, so will test them next weekend ot make sure the seeds are all good and then those seeds will be sent out the week after.

Then there will be a few more ripe ones after that.

So there will be an envelope from me every week for 4 weeks I suspect until I get through them all. Hopefully still gives you enough time.

SentencedToBurn said:
Hey hey

Just finished writing up and editing the review of today's 14 hybrids. All the pics and reviews are in your crosses glog: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/67625-d3monics-crosses-f3-and-f4-testing/

Here is the video, I edited out all the fluffing around, just went mainly to the video of the pod and our thoughts on them.

We gave it a few minutes between each one, and had some drinks etc in between so hopefully the review will be as good as we could do it.

First off, as a fellow metal head I really enjoyed the sound track. 

Thanks again for growing so many out. Most the shapes are kind of meh. I think we was both excited for the lemon shaped el scorp one and i'm sure we are both equally disappointed it didn't amount to much. I need to watch the video a few more times but there's a few that sound like they are worth sending and some I wouldn't waste the time drying seeds from. 

Obviously El Scorp #8 is good to go. Sounds a lot like what I saved seeds from. 

Devils prick, didn't sound like any of the phenos you had turned out to much. I do agree on the earthy, more vegetable taste. They was good grilled on a brat though. I'll keep searching for that scary phallic shape even though the heat doesn't match its name ore appearance. 

D3 goat - I think bitter has been a consistent problem with the cross and brutally hot. Maybe not as hot and bitter as the f1 I grew. 

I need to take a headcount on how many of each generation and what phenos but pretty sure I got a decent number of f3 el scorponero both red and orange phenos and a few f2 (probably grow a few f2 and f3 each year just incase something special pops up) 

D3 Goat Giant I think was the primary pheno I grew this year as well. Really hope to see more of that super large shape. The bitter goes away once dried thankfully. Makes a good hot powder and wasn't bad in a sauce either. Probably it's best use. 

SentencedToBurn said:
Have just taken stock of what's ripe now - 9 more plants, so will test them next weekend ot make sure the seeds are all good and then those seeds will be sent out the week after.

Then there will be a few more ripe ones after that.

So there will be an envelope from me every week for 4 weeks I suspect until I get through them all. Hopefully still gives you enough time.

I'll take seeds from the following in this group. 

El Scorp red #8
El Scorp # 2
El Scorp "orange" #8 (bright yellow)
El Scorp "orange" #21
D3 Goat Giant #2

Again I really appreciate you devoting so much of your space and time for these. Hopefully I'll get seeds out to you a little earlier this year. 

Hey man no probs at all, I think the next 9 plants actually have some really cool pods, there is a El Scorpenero Red #2 there that also turned yellow, and the pod is gigantic, so that'll be tested next weekend as well.

I'll send you the seeds you listed above next weekend.

Oh and if you need a hand with anything sorted out here in NZ, like if you decide to move or start looking at jobs etc (although I'm miles away from Tapanui which is where you posted a link to), let me know. If you need me to send you common employment sites that are used here, etc, can help out with whatever.

p.s. oh yeah I didnt realise the music could be heard on the camera, it was actually really quiet, but I'm glad it didnt overpower the voice too much.

p.s.s. El Scorpenero Red #8, the one I tested a week ago - that's alreayd been sent. But I've broken the seeds into 2 groups just for safety, who knows if a letter will go missing. So I'll be sending the 2nd half next weekend too. Id rather break it up into multiple letters and have some redundancy.

The 2nd lot from last week's review is packed in an envelope (I've also included the 2nd half of that El Scorp Red #8, just in case the first envelope doesnt make it.

Will send it off later today, and am testing the next 10 plants today and will post the reviews later in the evening. Should be good, there are some awesome pods hanging there.

Back