• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

D3monic's such a sauce noob

I've tried to make sauces in the past with moderate success and failure. More often than not way too hot even for my taste.

I have a handful of fataliis and looking at making a nice yellow sauce. Fishing for ideas on some ingredients

I just got a PH probe so I can properly bottle the sauce. Not looking at a giant batch. Maybe 6 peppers worth at a medium heat. My last sauce was like 12 bhuts and a jar of applesauce as a cutter and what ever else I added like onion and what not. Was way too hot to consume.

Currently on my cell but later tonight I will dig through some threads on here.

If using ~6 peppers how many apples/jars applesauce and ect would you expect to use to acheive a small batch of medium hi heat sauce... Say around LDHS black label heat? Or should I plan on using less peppers? Only want maybe 5-6 woozies worth.

And ingredient suggestions, think I want to stay away from pineapple and mango.

Maybe, apples, garlic, salt, lime, (ginger?) onion ... Open to ideas just want to keep the yellow color.
Appreciate any insight

winland said:

I have not yet made a sauce by this method or by fermentation.
I would like to know how I can take this recipe and use it as a ferment.
Would I need to add anything?
Would I need to take some of the ingredients out before the fermentation process and add later during the cooking?

Thanks

winland that recipe is solid, but I would not add the lemon juice, water or the vinegar until fermentation is over.  You'd also need to add salt and perhaps a bit of starter like whey in order to get things going.  Once the batch is done you could then very easily add the rest of the ingredients during cook down.  :)

And I agree Alynne - 'Ode to Pookie' looks like a damn fine sauce indeed!  

Back