beer D3's Newb Brew

ok i'll keep it on for another 30 min. I think I still have more than a gallon of water in there. Maybe will add another 1/3 gallon to make sure 

I got it fired back up with hops added and is rolling boil again. Directions said if there was a second package of hops to add at last 10 mins so i'm assuming the amount of time it's in the boil isn't overly critical other than to dissolve. 

No. Sixty mins, min ...

Current smell of the pot is relatively pleasant 

grantmichaels said:
No. Sixty mins, min ...

directions say 45 min. I should go a full 60? I added 4 cups more water to make up for evaporation during that time. 

What's the beer? If it's pilsner malt you need to give the sixty, man, or it's going to be DMS hell mixed with ice-bath chilling, I'm thinking ...

You don't want a canned corn off-flavor from SMM/DMS ...

well obviously I can't thus the reboil with hops added  :rofl:

I usually ignore the Internet while brewing ;)

grantmichaels said:
What's the beer? If it's pilsner malt you need to give the sixty, man, or it's going to be DMS hell mixed with ice-bath chilling, I'm thinking ...

You don't want a canned corn off-flavor from SMM/DMS ...

I usually ignore the Internet while brewing ;)

it's kick ass american wheat. 

lemme see what's in the grist ...
give that fucker an hour boil, dude ...

I feel like Wheebz would want like 75-100 for 2-row, so do an hour ...
(uncovered too, right?)

grantmichaels said:
lemme see what's in the grist ...
give that f**ker an hour boil, dude ...

I feel like Wheebz would want like 75-100 for 2-row, so do an hour ...
(uncovered too, right?)

aight hour it is, yea uncovered. 

Is the skimmat always that gross? Looks like I got chunks of bread floating around in there.

it's worst w/ wheat ...
i'm about to have a double cafe con leche to work tonight ... so, no hurry on my end, lol!
I'm super fucking tempted to walk you through rehydrating the yeast ...

grantmichaels said:
I'm super f**king tempted to walk you through rehydrating the yeast ...

is there an advantage to re-hydrating it?

following these directions for it, thanks http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/rehydrating-dry-yeast/

brew kit directions say to only use half the 6g package of yeast so I put 30g filtered water into a sterilized measure cup and microwaved for 1 min. Will allow to cool to around 100f

Yeah, man ... rehydrate ...

Let's give this thing everything we can ...

They want instructions that aren't too high number of steps that might turn people off to taking the plunge, but let's rehydrate the yeast so you have as short a lag phase as possible ...

It's good for the nerves ... RDWHAHAH or whatever it is ...

We want the chilled wort and the rehydrated yeast's temperature to be within like 5 degrees of one another when you pour the yeast into the fermenter later ...

So, after you boil a little water, it's going to need to cool back down to like 85F and then you can stir in the yeast, and then it can sit w/ foil on top until the wort is ready (it'll cool more, to get closer to the wort) ...

You'll want to chill that wort down to like 75F or so, and mix them ...

Before you mix them, you are going to shake the fuck out of the jug of wort for like 90-120 sec or so ... I mean, get your arm good and tired and shit, you want to oxygenate the wort well ...

Doing all these things will be good shit, so you will only really have extended boiled your wort a bit, which should only really contribute some extra maillard flavors that I can think of ... nothing that would affect it's ferment-ability all that much, at least not that I can think of ...

Ok perfect

back to the sanitizer question. 

when the blow off tube is just sitting dipped into the bowl of sanitizer do I need to worry about it sucking any up the tube?

I feel like that was mentioned in one the other brew threads. 

D3monic said:
Ok perfect

back to the sanitizer question. 

when the blow off tube is just sitting dipped into the bowl of sanitizer do I need to worry about it sucking any up the tube?

I feel like that was mentioned in one the other brew threads. 

No, that was specifically because his sanitizer bowl was up above the fermenter jar ...

And, placed in the basement, it was presumably going to contract as it cooled, potentially sucking sanitizer back into his fermenter =)

If you put the bowl/container or sanitizer on the same level as the fermenter, not an issue ...

I think it's worth popping the lid on for the last min of the boil or whatever, to steam it a little, so that it can sit on top while it's in the sink chilling ...

Don't leave it open-top during that ... if you don't have a lid, use some foil ...

It takes a little while to chill in the sink, and you don't want shit settling in there from the air during that time IMO ...

The other thing I can think of, is that it might be worth having a sanitized spoon available to be able to scrape the screen in the funnel during the pour ... it can become too clogged to allow the wort into the fermenter in the middle of the pour ...

And, you'll want the funnel/strainer to be sanitized ...

I have to admit that I don't sanitize my scissors, but most people sanitize the yeast packets and scissors ...

I often do sanitize the yeast packet, but have only sanitized the scissors once or twice if I'm being honest ...

wort chilling, sitting at 80 already.

grantmichaels said:
I think it's worth popping the lid on for the last min of the boil or whatever, to steam it a little, so that it can sit on top while it's in the sink chilling ...

Don't leave it open-top during that ... if you don't have a lid, use some foil ...

It takes a little while to chill in the sink, and you don't want shit settling in there from the air during that time IMO ...

The other thing I can think of, is that it might be worth having a sanitized spoon available to be able to scrape the screen in the funnel during the pour ... it can become too clogged to allow the wort into the fermenter in the middle of the pour ...

And, you'll want the funnel/strainer to be sanitized ...

I have to admit that I don't sanitize my scissors, but most people sanitize the yeast packets and scissors ...

I often do sanitize the yeast packet, but have only sanitized the scissors once or twice if I'm being honest ...

Kit came with a siphon. says to siphon from pot to bottle. 1010 did send me a funnel but My funnel doesn't have screen in it. 

I've been dipping my thermometer in sanitizer before each use. I assume that's not excessive. 

D3monic said:
wort chilling, sitting at 80 already.

Kit came with a siphon. says to siphon from pot to bottle. 1010 did send me a funnel but My funnel doesn't have screen in it. 

you can stop ...

if they are within 5-7F or so, that's good ...

aerate the shit out of the wort, then pour the yeast in there and seal set it up w/ the tube and it should be coming to life after some hours ... maybe like 4-16 hrs, or so ...

there's a lag phase while the yeasties bud while there's oxygen, then when they run out, they'll switch gears and go into ferm mode ...

there's a period of time while the CO2 will go into solution and have to saturate it, before it'll start off-gasing enough to register enough through the tube, during which you'll be able to see little rifts through the wort w/ tiny bubbles ...

when it's really going, the wort should sort of rise up in the center column and then fan out in all directions and roll down the sides of the fermenter ... it's a convection of sorts, and with the wheat beer, the proteins will ride the convection and it's pretty crazy looking ... like a snow ball, lol ...

you don't want the temp to swing too far or too quickly, and you want it out of light, so throw a tshirt over it or whatever ...

I did a little poking after Wheebz grumbled about it the other day, and he's pretty much on point ... the light-struck skunking happens fast, and we're able to perceive a tiny amount in solution:
https://beersensoryscience.wordpress.com/2011/03/17/lightstruck/

kind of a pita, but one of the reasons why i just ferment my beer in a corny keg ...
D3monic said:

I've been dipping my thermometer in sanitizer before each use. I assume that's not excessive. 
you can siphon, that's fine ... really shake the motherluvin' hell out of it afterwards ... the little strainer insert that's often in the funnel is good for aerating, siphons are good for not-aerating specifically ...

Back