• We welcome off-topic dicussion that is not political or divisive. If we feel your topic leans political or has the potentioal to become divisive, it may be removed at any time. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Damn Chickens!

My neighbors chickens are coming from next door and digging up my young chiles! I've thrown stuff, shot them with the water hose, but they keep coming back and digging. I replanted the same young Aji Lemon three times already! Any suggestions? Keep in mind I'm in a neighborhood.

Well I guess you could start feeding them in area away from your plants. Maybe they will be too fat and happy to mess with your chili's. Or have you thought about putting chicken wire around them :crazy: The plants not the chickens :lol:

Just think of it as pre-seasoning the chickens! now all you need is too pull out the turkey fryer. :cool:
If they're on your property, it's fair game!

Problem solved!

oven-roasted-chicken-with-potato.jpg

Problem solved!

+1

Since you are in a neighborhood I would purchase a nice high end .22 pellet gun since discharging a firearm might be a problem. I would guess that after you have had a few nice chicken dinners the neighbor will do something to keep his chickens in his yard.

Hahaha I hope thats not his neighbor!!

I agree with Romy6...Try feeding them in a different area.
and if this doesnt work you are fattening them up for dinner.

They do have motion sensor sprinklers you could check out.

While the plants are young put some chicken wire over them so the chickens cant accidentally dig them out.
When the plants are bigger take off the chicken wire. the chickens will then be able to do gardening for you and eat all the nasty bugs.

BTW i would suggest against doing anything too harmful to the chickens, this would be a sure fire way to get in your neighbours bad books.

Problem solved!

:lol: yep problem solved.

+1

Since you are in a neighborhood I would purchase a nice high end .22 pellet gun since discharging a firearm might be a problem. I would guess that after you have had a few nice chicken dinners the neighbor will do something to keep his chickens in his yard.

a pellet gun is still considered a firearm for many states, and some cities still have laws about shooting pellet guns...even shooting archery in your yard.
though I do agree a pellet gun or archery & get yourself some dinner, or your best bet is chicken wire fence around the plants if you want to be all neighborly.

I hear applewood will keep them away.

ESPECIALLY if you "smoke" em with applewood like I do. :rofl:

Grill057bbq-1.jpg

Seriously though, they are GREAT Organic pest control, if you can get past this initial stage.

I had a similar problem with the neighbor's cat. I would complain to him about it and he would just blow me off. Well I have the solution for you…it's a "Zareba 2 Mile AC Fencer" at "Tractor Supply Co."

http://www.tractorsupply.com/zareba-2-mile-ac-fencer-3680003

When I was installing it my neighbor confronted me and asked what I was doing…I replied that I was taking care of my kitty problem. I gave him his chance and he didn't step up. When I powered up the unit my son went inside and fixed himself up some popcorn. He came back outside, sat in a lawn chair and called out "here kitty – kitty".

No more cat problem!!!

lol, you guys are way to extreme. aslong as you can stop the chickens accidentally digging out the baby plants chickens are a good thing. think about it, the chickens come over, eat all your bugs and pests, fertilize your garden, mulch and air rate your garden then leave. if you can just protect your plants when there lil you'll be fine.

Maybe make collars for the plants out of two litter plastic soda bottles.
Cut the bottoms and tops off the bottles and place over little plant.
Maybe it will need a stake on the side to hold it, or partial bury it.

I had a similar problem with the neighbor's cat. I would complain to him about it and he would just blow me off. Well I have the solution for you…it's a "Zareba 2 Mile AC Fencer" at "Tractor Supply Co." http://www.tractorsupply.com/zareba-2-mile-ac-fencer-3680003 When I was installing it my neighbor confronted me and asked what I was doing…I replied that I was taking care of my kitty problem. I gave him his chance and he didn't step up. When I powered up the unit my son went inside and fixed himself up some popcorn. He came back outside, sat in a lawn chair and called out "here kitty – kitty". No more cat problem!!!

Too funny, I also have a neighborhood cat that comes over shits in between a couple of my Bhuts. Almost every morning there's a new stinky present for me. I put a big cinder block in that spot and ruined his trip. Havn't seen a turd since. He liked that spot for some reason. :think:

Too funny, I also have a neighborhood cat that comes over shits in between a couple of my Bhuts.

have you ever seen a cat that has walked in trinidad scorpion powder cleaning his paws?

chickens...what a crazy bird...and depending on the size of your plants, chicken wire is the best non-lethal (and probably cheapest too) way to keepem' out...

Back