• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Damn - UPDATE

Well I went out of town for 5 days and thought my Bhut's, Scorpions and Bonnets could manage without me for a bit. I watered heavily before I left, but I also had a fan set on them to run for 15 min a day for twice a day. No one else thought to check on them, not their fault though and I'm not blaming them. All the plants I had gotten on the go since early January have dried up and died. No bhuts or Scorps for me this year :(. I'm out of seeds and time on those. I'm trying a second gen batch of seeds for my bonnets and am hoping they'll sprout. Bloody hell.

Holy Crap Neil, that's heartbreaking :mope: and sucks major. I was out of town the last 6 days and worried about the plants, but the wife was home with specific instruction and did good. I could share a few seeds I have left over, PM if your're interested and have time left to plant.

Feeling your pain - had to toss some plants today, myself. Hope your second gen SB's go well for you.

Hi Blister, i have some super hot seeds I can spare.

Shoot me a pm and I can send you some seeds out and you should have them this coming week some time.

dvg

Just wanted to say I feel for you Blister. Lost some of my own babies lately. Made me feel absolutely sick as you must be feeling!!!! your topic says it all!!

There is no pepper gardening without humility.
Nature is constantly sending even its oldest scholars to the bottom of the class for some unforeseen
blunder.
Damn

:banghead: SC

Bummer, blister. That sucks. If I had any extra plants of those varieties, I'd send you some, but I only have what I am going to need for my own garden. I got a double whammy on bhuts last year. I only got two seeds to germinate and grow into plants. One died shortly after transplanting and the other got mowed down by a cutworm. So I ordered six plants from Hirt's garden. I wound up with some real nice Carribean red habs. You might consider Cross Country Nurseries or the chilewoman if you want to buy some plants.

sorry to hear that blister. hope things go better this time for you. there's still time for this year's growing season. so have a good one. =D

Thanks for the seed offers and the kind words guys. It really means a lot. Unfortunately I don't think I have enough time to get the Bhuts or scorpions going again. My growing season is around 90 days with the last frost date coming up May 20. I started the others really early this year so I could cover off the 160 DTH time and then some. Now their wilted up and the leaves have gone crisp. They're falling off with the slightest movement. I usually plant more than I need so I can have a bit of a safety margin should some die, but this year only two of each kind actually started out of the last batch of seeds I had. My Dorsets didn't start at all :(.

I've got the scotch bonnet seeds sown again and should have more than enough time for those, provided they actually start. Maybe I just wasn't meant to have the delicious super hots this year.

I will send you some plants, If they will make it over to you.....how many do you need?? I see you are in B.C.

I have Bhuts and Scorpions..... Same line as AJ, I purchased plants from him last year and saved seed.

PM me If I can help. I have had alot of generous help here and want to return the favor to this forum.

Sorry to hear about the plants Blister.. anything i can do let me know but you have plenty of time to grow superhots. I started 7 barrackpores and brain strains last year at the end of March and was able to get plenty ripe pods by September. I'm in a hardiness zone of 5.
I think your area is a 4 or something. no?

I am simply astounded by the generosity of the folks on this site. It really blows me away that people would offer up the things they do. You guys make this site absolutely awesome!

I am in zone 3. I'll have to take another look at the time line, but I don't know if I can get any of the super hots going in time so that they'd be productive come harvest time. I'd have to give them lots of extra love and make sure that they'd be getting the best of everything. Even then it would be cutting it pretty close.

NorTexChiliJs,

Thanks for the extremely generous offer, but we're still hovering around -10 to -15c range. I can't see plants lasting throughout shipping at those temps. Thanks again though!

Well there may still be hope for me yet. I didn't give up on the plants despite the fact that all the leaves dried up to a complete crisp. I kept pouring the water too them when needed and they seem to be making a recovery. One Trinidad Scorpion (left) and two Bhut's (Right) are showing signs of life. I guess they were old enough to be able to deal with not being watered for so long. The seedlings (only seed leaves) haven't fared as well. I can restart those though.

recovering-chilis-001.jpg

The plants are in 4" pots. Notice the pile of snow outside my window. It's half way up the window and blocks the view of the yard. We've still got a few more months before it's gone and I can put them out into the sun.

Wow I guess I have been so ignorant of the fact that it is still cold in some places... - 10 C no way I could live in that. I think of cold being 50 F and we just got over night drops of around 60 F so it should be all hot weather from here on. If my seeds die I can just sprout new ones because in Fla. it stays warm to December so I guess the whole year is growing season as long as I bring them inside during the cool drops at night. Being on a time line must be alot of pressure to produce on the little guys :(

Blister, those are lookin good! When you get your super long days and MAJOR sunshine kick in, those babies will hum. Growers down south will be battling the excess heat and yours will be drinking in the snow melt. And at least you aren't trying to grow on some wretched north-facing balcony somewhere. That would be awful.... :cool:

well it sucks you lost plants but after seeing them now, it looks like they might have just made it through just fine :)
sure hope they do! Good luck

That middle plant looks like it's saying something along the lines of, "I'll be damned if I'm going without a fight!" Heh. But good luck on your survivors... that has to suck to extreme levels losing a bunch of young plants that made it so far. I wonder if those plants will end up growing extremely strong as a result of this? It'd be cool if it became a "Super Bhut" or something, more than making up for the rest that didn't make it in terms of pepper production and pest/disease & weather resistance...

Back