• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

DAMN YOU RAIN!!!!!!!

Yes, that's meant to be in all caps. I am yelling. I've heard how much peppers don't like wet feet, so I waited until the 10 day forecast showed nothing but blue skies on the horizon. Planted out, and got 2 days of sunshine, and now we're on about day 5 of pounding rain mixed with scattered showers. The mountains have seen about 5 hours of daylight without rain in the last five days. :banghead: Last year we were in a drought, so I can't say we don't need all this rain, but it sure is making me want to drink heavily right now.

If my plants don't drown, it will be a miracle of modern botany. I'm even starting to worry about my tomatoes at this point. At least I've got one of each pepper variety in big pots. They've all come up to live on the front porch for a while, at least until the rain stops. My one plant that was nice and large, and flowering has started to drop flowers a day or so after they open.:shocked:

I don't think your plants will drown and die. We had well over 10 inches of rain here in the Orlando area within the last week and a half or so, a lot of flowers have dropped but the plants are OK. For now......

I was actually draining water out of the potted ones daily.... thats alot of water!

We had a heavy thunderstorm yesterday. Some rural areas around here had a power breakdown, some had one foot high hail on the streets and a train derailed about 20 miles from here because of trees falling on the rails. I had some damage with the peppers but no fatal casualties so far. But some tomato plants are in Nirvana now.

peppercrazy said:
I was actually draining water out of the potted ones daily.... thats alot of water!

I've been doing this for the last week as well.

FiveStar, I hear ya. I was nervous after seeing four days of nothing but rain. All the peppers seem to be handling it for the moment, 'cept one bell pepper. Growing so fast it can't hold its own weight.:shocked:

imaguitargod said:
YA, the rain here in Cleveland delayed me from planting out by about 2 weeks. :(

Ditto.
I just got my plants out in the garden this last weekend. So far it has only been sprinkling a bit the past couple days.

We just went thru this here,more like triple that though.I try to use fast draining soil.I can always put a saucer under to hold water,or just water more in tough times,but it's hard to get rid of excess moisture.Some plants have developed some fungas on the leaves because of to much moisture.Mostly afecting annums.
Here if they fail there is always a new plant to take it's place if they don't make it.

I lived in Texas where rain was a rare thing. Now not having any rain in the forecast would be odd. If mine can survive in an actual temperate rainforest, you'll be OK!

Back