• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Damnit so very much...

This happens in Florida all the time. One of the easiest things to do is put bubble wrap over them. You can use a tomato cage wrap it, make sure it goes all the way to the ground and make sure it's completely closed.

You can use floating covers on the plants (if you have any) you can also use blankets or burlap. Layer the material up. You can probably save them if you wrap them up good. 

Thanks for the input.

I think I'll just go to the effort of digging them back up.  These are the only three that have survived since my first season growing (2012), so it would suck if I screwed up the attempt to wrap them and lost them.

The choc hab was already having some distress which was part of the reason I wanted to get it outside so soon, in an attempt to escape whatever imbalance was killing it inside.  If -4 is certain death then it's best to take the safer way.

I suppose you can buy there a 5-6 Liter plastic bottle, with water. My wife use this to propagate roses. You can cut the bottom, put this over the pepper (since overwintered, I suppose is not too big now), and cover with a bit of soil around, to keep it fixed. You can cover this with anything else and not hurt the plant (blanket, or anything else). Over day you can keep only the bottle, even to uncap it, for watering or give it a bit of fresh air.

Ouch, that's nasty.
They're ok down to freezing but below that, if they freeze then it will burst the plant cells and as has been said so succinctly, death shall occur!
You can insulate them with any insulating material but whether they survive depends on how long the outside temp stays below zero.
I personally would dig them up... Seriously.

I agree that either digging them up or finding some way to cover and add heat is necessary. I bring my OW's inside the house when temps dip too low, but the plants I'm not too concerned about saving I put into the garage (detached and unheated) so at least they're covered. They'll handle dips into the 30F's, but not into the 20F's.

Is May too early to start overwintering for next year?  :lol:  No but seriously, bundle 'em up in layers and they should pull through. Best wishes.

I dug them up.  It was surprisingly easy, I expected the soil to have 'merged' more, but they basically pulled right up after I got the shovel under them.

moosery said:
Ouch, that's nasty.
They're ok down to freezing but below that, if they freeze then it will burst the plant cells and as has been said so succinctly, death shall occur!
You can insulate them with any insulating material but whether they survive depends on how long the outside temp stays below zero.
I personally would dig them up... Seriously.

Unless I am mistaken it goes beyond that.  You can cover as much of the top of the plant that you want, but if the soil freezes and the roots freeze, it does not matter what you did to the plant above the soil??? am i wrong about this?  That is why I was told its better to warm the soil, not just the plant???

Yikes I was fearing our upcoming 48º forecast over the weekend but that's rough for mid-May!  Sorry to hear that!

ikeepfish said:
Yikes I was fearing our upcoming 48º forecast over the weekend but that's rough for mid-May!  Sorry to hear that!

Mother Nature hates me because of that time I slept with her in the woods and then never called her back.

drangler40 said:

Unless I am mistaken it goes beyond that.  You can cover as much of the top of the plant that you want, but if the soil freezes and the roots freeze, it does not matter what you did to the plant above the soil??? am i wrong about this?  That is why I was told its better to warm the soil, not just the plant???

Yes - but that's on the assumption that the frost will penetrate the ground, which is very unlikely at this time of year in most parts of the world, the low temp usually is an air temperature only, or that's my understanding. So I wouldn't think that's a concern, but you are right in theory and I'd still advise digging them up. 

OP I hope all went well in the end?

Back