• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Damping Off

I lost a plant today to it. I use organic potting soil. Any chance it could come from this? I would guess it would more likely come from the tomato tone fertilizer.

0005019770108_P321146_500X500.jpg

Spicy, I make my own potting soil but my dear old mum uses that stuff and hasn't had any problem. If it was "damping off" it was most likely a matter of too much water. How big of a plant are we discussing?

spicymeatball said:
 Any chance it could come from this?

Ubiquitous.

Commonwealth said:
Spicy, I make my own potting soil but my dear old mum uses that stuff and hasn't had any problem. If it was "dampening off" it was most likely a matter of too much water. How big of a plant are we discussing?

It's damping.

Able, thanks for catching that, :cheers:, one of those twists of the tongue that's become habit.

Spicy, that sounds rather well on...I've seen it before but mostly in very young seedlings. Again, probably a moisture level issue, but one of those annoying things that's hard to pin down after it's already happened. Commercial AG friends use vermiculite along the top of their containers for this purpose, I personally use neem meal in my soil mixes and that seems to help with issues like fusarium or verticillium.

Yup. Moisture.

This mix has burned me in the past in that it dries out incredibly quickly. Add the fact that I bury the stems to the cotyledons, so the roots are deep in the container. So I need to water deep. But I'm making sure that I let the soil dry all the way out until they wilt now. Problem is you have to be johnny on the spot with the water which is difficult.

I do have a fan. Didn't help in this case apparently.

Back