• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

dan5505's 2015 Grow Log **Lots of Pictures**

Last year was my first time growing peppers.  I grew several Jalapeno and Habanero plants both indoors and out in the garden.  It was a lot of fun, so this year I am going to try some other varieties.  Here is my plan for this year.

Overwintered Plants:
4 Jalapeno Early
7 Orange & Red Habaneros

Started January-February 2015:
2 Banana or Corno di Toro (mixed seeds I found from 2011)
3 Bell 
2 Cayenne 
2 Serrano 
1 Cherry Tomato

Starting soon just ordered seeds:
1 Aji Habanero
1 Trinidad Perfume
1 Bishop's Hat
1 Brazillian Starfish
1 Bhut Jolokia

I only have enough windowspace indoors for one of each variety.  The rest will go out in the garden when it gets warm or will be given away.

This is my high tech seed starting / overwintering grow setup:

This Serrano seems to be doing the best.  I cut the top early so I have 4 main branches growing.

This is my up-potting strategy for the indoor plants.  I found these 6" and 8" pots at HomeDepot for $1.67 and $2.67 each.  They have built in water trays and are cheap enough that I wont be out much if I give plants away.

Some pictures from last year:

dan5505 said:
Is this normal or did I screw up its cycle somehow?  Will they continue to flower throughout the season?
Yeah, thats pretty normal and is usually a good sign...

If it stays healthy, it should keep flowering throughout the season...

dan5505 said:
A few of my overwintered habaneros are already flowering.  Is this normal or did I screw up its cycle somehow?  Will they continue to flower throughout the season?

Runescape said:

You can also prune it back if you want it to focus on bushing out.  

Runescape said:

NeedsWork said:
You can also prune it back if you want it to focus on bushing out.  

Thanks for the reassurance guys.  I didn't think about pruning them back.

The second round of seeds showed up today.

Aji Amarillo
Aji Habanero
Trinidad Perfume
Bishop's Hat
Brazillian Starfish
Red Bhut Jolokia

The Serrano is turning dark and is continuing to bush out.

The Bell is also branching out after an early top/fim.

My Cayenne and Banana are just now starting to recover from my over watering.

It seems crazy to have pods on small indoor plants like that, but I wouldn't complain!

The thick, brown stem on the overwinter is pretty typical.  Most of my overwinters did the same thing, but not quite as robust as yours.  If you plant that one outside it will probably become a monster.

Interesting overwintering annuums... do you think it's worth it?  I was thinking about doing that, but they grow so easy from seed and mature so quickly, I don't know if I'll bother...

Spicegeist said:
Interesting overwintering annuums... do you think it's worth it?  I was thinking about doing that, but they grow so easy from seed and mature so quickly, I don't know if I'll bother...
Good question. This year has been an experiment. I'm growing the majority of my peppers inside on windowsills since my habs didnt do well outside last year. Must be the Montana climate. For the overwintered annuums, it seems like I have jalapeno pods much earlier than last year when I started from seeds, but then again, I started those seeds pretty late in april.

Cayenne

Trinidad Perfume, Red Bhut, Aji Habanero

Bishop's Hat, Brazilian Starfish

For some reason these overwintered habs don't want to make pollen.  I have to manually pollinate from other plants.

Back